Current Electricity Problem

In summary: E1 + E2 +------+En] - [E1 + E2 +------+E N-n] / R1 + R2 + ------- + RNSince V is held constant, current will flow from higher potential to lower potential.
coldblood
Hi friend I am Stuck in a problem. Please help me in solving this. Thank you all in advance.
The problem is as follows.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10270329_1576533655907072_4352617381833809587_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10500551_1576533745907063_1098072757182948910_n.jpg

Solution

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10524686_1576533929240378_2650154413940968208_n.jpg

Friends Please help me in solving this. I'll appreciate the help. Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is equivalent to a vertical stack of cells with the two ends shorted together. So the current that flows is not given by that equation you wrote, viz.,

I = ((E1 + E2 + ...) - ( E1 + E2 ... ))/ R

NascentOxygen said:
This is equivalent to a vertical stack of cells with the two ends shorted together. So the current that flows is not given by that equation you wrote, viz.,

I = ((E1 + E2 + ...) - ( E1 + E2 ... ))/ R

NascentOxygen:

Please tell me how we'll find the current in this circuit?

coldblood said:
Please tell me how we'll find the current in this circuit?
You have written it correctly ... the first line under your text "Battery,"

Use that equation. But do it correctly this time. :wink:

NascentOxygen said:
You have written it correctly ... the first line under your text "Battery,"

Use that equation. But do it correctly this time. :wink:

in the equation, i = [E1 + E2 +------+En] - [E1 + E2 +------+E N-n] / R1 + R2 + ------- + RN

here E = αR
Hence,

i = [αR1 + αR2 +-------+ αRn] - [αR1 + αR2 +-------+ αR N-n] / [αR1 + αR2 +-------+ αRN]

typical to solve this, so If I assume all the resistances identical, then

i = α{[R + R +-------+ R(n times)] - [R + R +-------+ R (N-n times)] / α[R + R +-------+ R(N times)]

hence,
i = α{[nR]-[(N-n)R]} / αNR

i = {n - N + n} R / NR

i = {2n - N} / N

Is this wrong. It is giving some value?

You have a single loop. You wrote correctly somewhere that i= total emf/ total resistance.

What is the total emf? What is the total resistance? What is the current in terms of α?

And do not avoid parentheses. What you wrote i = [E1 + E2 +------+En] - [E1 + E2 +------+E N-n] / R1 + R2 + ------- + RN means [E1 + E2 +------+En] - ([E1 + E2 +------+E N-n]/R1) +R2 + ------- + RN , that you subtract Amps from Volts and add Ohms. ehild

Last edited:
coldblood said:
in the equation, i = [E1 + E2 +------+En] [strike]- [E1 + E2 +------+E N-n][/strike] / R1 + R2 + ------- + RN
total emf / total resistance

As ehild noted, extra brackets are needed around your denominator

Thank you friends,
I have got the answer. I was doing a silly mistake.

Special Thanks To
NascentOxygen and ehild

The current i in the loop = α .

But this means that potential diference between the terminals of any battery given by V= E -iR = 0 .This also means that potential difference between any two points in the circuit is 0 .

How would current even flow in the circuit ?

Yes, it is a strange circuit.
All batteries drive current through their internal resistance and all these currents are equal: All batteries are as if short-circuited. But current can flow between two points at the same potential.

ehild

Last edited:

What is current electricity and how is it different from static electricity?

Current electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conducting material, such as a wire. It is different from static electricity, which is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object. Current electricity involves a continuous flow of charge, while static electricity involves a buildup of charge that eventually discharges.

What are the main causes of current electricity problems?

Current electricity problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty wiring, damaged electrical equipment, power surges, and overloading of circuits. Improper use or maintenance of electrical systems can also lead to current electricity problems.

How can current electricity problems be prevented?

To prevent current electricity problems, it is important to ensure that all electrical equipment and wiring is installed and maintained properly. This includes regularly inspecting and repairing any damaged or outdated equipment, using surge protectors, and avoiding overloading of circuits. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols when working with electricity and to be aware of potential hazards.

What are some common signs of current electricity problems?

Some common signs of current electricity problems include flickering or dimming lights, frequent tripping of circuit breakers, appliances or devices not working properly, and unusual buzzing or humming sounds coming from electrical outlets. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent potential hazards.

How can current electricity problems be diagnosed and resolved?

Diagnosing and resolving current electricity problems requires the expertise of a professional electrician. They will use specialized tools and techniques to identify the source of the problem and make necessary repairs or replacements. It is important to address current electricity problems promptly to ensure the safety and functionality of your electrical system.