Resistance of A to B in Current Electricity Homework

In summary, the Wheatstone bridge is a device that can be used to measure resistance between two points. It does so by using a DC voltage source to create an imbalance between the two points, which in turn allows the bridge to measure the resistance between the two points.
1/2"

Homework Statement

Find the resistance between the A and B( image attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could only simplify the diagram to this (2 attached pic) and i can't proceed any further since i can't identy find any parallel or series circuit/

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 500
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
You can unfold the first picture ... put points A and B in the corners, then unfold the triangle point A is on so A is outside the big triangle. See how to simplify it now?
No? Imagine a voltage source VAB between A and B and you have to find the total current drawn ... now do you get it?

You end up with the resistors forming an H ...

Last edited:
If you redraw it slightly differently you will see that by symetry one R has no voltage across it. So it can be removed without effecting the circuit. Makes it much easier to simplify further.

Simon Bridge said:
You can unfold the first picture ... put points A and B in the corners, then unfold the triangle point A is on so A is outside the big triangle. See how to simplify it now?
No? Imagine a voltage source VAB between A and B and you have to find the total current drawn ... now do you get it?

You end up with the resistors forming an H ...
resistance in between the parallel line of H... how do i combine it with others??:cry:
(Thanks A LOT for answering!:smile:)

1/2" said:
resistance in between the parallel line of H... how do i combine it with others??:cry:
(Thanks A LOT for answering!:smile:)

If you see carefully, there's a wheat stone bridge.

Pranav-Arora is correct - it's a Wheatstone bridge. How does one of those work?

You may understand it better if you add a DC voltage source to the diagram between A and B ... one of the resistors in the H does not carry a current: so you can just replace it with an open circuit.

If you still don't see it - use Kirkhoffs rules to find the relationship between VAB and the total current drawn, then Ohm's Law gets you the rest of the way.

sorry-deleting my post

Last edited:
@aziziwi: I'd have let 1/2" explore the situation in terms of existing knowledge more before introducing new ideas.

Since all the resistors have the same value, there is no need for the Y-Δ transform. Not that it isn't cool to know...

1/2" is about to discover that the problem only looks complicated. Worst case now is that he does a 3-loop/4-node Kirkhoff analysis ... which is lots of work, but sometimes you have to do something the long way before you realize where the shortcut is. Builds character ;)

I think we've gone as close as we can to actually doing the problem ... let's wait for 1/2" to get back to us.

1. What is the formula for calculating resistance in current electricity?

The formula for resistance in current electricity is R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

2. How does the resistance of a material impact its conductivity?

The resistance of a material is inversely proportional to its conductivity, meaning that as resistance increases, conductivity decreases. This is because materials with high resistance impede the flow of electric current.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, and type of material. Resistance increases with length and decreases with cross-sectional area. Different materials also have different levels of conductivity and therefore different levels of resistance.

4. How do you measure resistance in a circuit?

Resistance can be measured using a multimeter by placing the probes on either side of the component or material being tested. The multimeter will display the resistance in ohms.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding resistance in current electricity?

Understanding resistance is crucial in designing and building electrical circuits, as it allows for the proper selection of materials and components. It is also important in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and power generation, where electrical resistance is a key factor in the efficiency and functionality of devices and systems.