1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current electricity

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the resistance between the A and B( image attached)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I could only simplify the diagram to this (2 attached pic) and i can't proceed any further since i can't identy find any parallel or series circuit/

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can unfold the first picture ... put points A and B in the corners, then unfold the triangle point A is on so A is outside the big triangle. See how to simplify it now?
    No? Imagine a voltage source VAB between A and B and you have to find the total current drawn ... now do you get it?

You end up with the resistors forming an H ...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  4. Aug 10, 2012 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you redraw it slightly differently you will see that by symetry one R has no voltage across it. So it can be removed without effecting the circuit. Makes it much easier to simplify further.

5. Aug 10, 2012 #4
    resistance in between the parallel line of H.......... how do i combine it with others??:cry:
    (Thanks A LOT for answering!:smile:)

6. Aug 10, 2012 #5
    If you see carefully, there's a wheat stone bridge.

7. Aug 10, 2012 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pranav-Arora is correct - it's a Wheatstone bridge. How does one of those work?

You may understand it better if you add a DC voltage source to the diagram between A and B ... one of the resistors in the H does not carry a current: so you can just replace it with an open circuit.

If you still don't see it - use Kirkhoffs rules to find the relationship between VAB and the total current drawn, then Ohm's Law gets you the rest of the way.

8. Aug 10, 2012 #7
    sorry-deleting my post

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  9. Aug 10, 2012 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@aziziwi: I'd have let 1/2" explore the situation in terms of existing knowledge more before introducing new ideas.

Since all the resistors have the same value, there is no need for the Y-Δ transform. Not that it isn't cool to know...

1/2" is about to discover that the problem only looks complicated. Worst case now is that he does a 3-loop/4-node Kirkhoff analysis ... which is lots of work, but sometimes you have to do something the long way before you realize where the shortcut is. Builds character ;)

I think we've gone as close as we can to actually doing the problem ... lets wait for 1/2" to get back to us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook