Electricity: How Current Works

In summary: The ammeter reading would change depending on the circuit configuration. If the voltmeter is connected in parallel to the load, the current flowing through the voltmeter will decrease the resistance of the circuit, increasing the circuit current. If the voltmeter is connected in series to the load, the current flowing through the voltmeter will not affect the resistance of the circuit, and the circuit current will be the same as before.
vadevalor
Refer to my third post :) clearer and the picture in my second post

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vadevalor said:
If current flows through a voltmeter in parallel first then it flows back to an ammeter -- any effect on the ammeter and voltmeter reading? (Do they increase or decrease?)
I would assume current measured by the ammeter is the same as when no current flows through the voltmeter, because although current splits before the voltmeter, the current is added up when it leaves the point of split and heads for the ammeter. But i suspect this is not true.

Also, I only rely on using V=IR, but it doesn't work sometimes, so are there other equations to use if this doesn't work?(as in it doesn't prove the increase or decrease)

This is extremely vague. "current ... flows BACK to an ammeter"?

Spend some time producing a circuit diagram and post it here!

Furthermore, if this is part of a HW/Coursework question, please do it in the HW/Coursework forum.

Zz.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353862200.082398.jpg

Its a simple setup as shown( this is what i thought of so it's not a homework qn)
I put arrows to show a case where current will flow through the voltmeter ( unlike normal case where an ideal voltmeter has an infinite resistance and assumed to have no current through it)

You might want to look up Kirchoff's Rule, also. I think you are trying to ask what the ammeter readings will be in that circuit diagram, it can be answered by the said computational method. Intuitively, at the split, the current reading should be lower, this is a direct consequence of the law of conservation of charges.

The voltmeter in parallel to the load will indeed decrease the total circuit resistance thus increasing circuit current. Also the Ammeter will have a small resistance in series with the load decreasing the circuit current. To compute the total circuit current you will need to know the resistance of your meters then just compute the total circuit resistance.

Comparing a case when no current flow through the voltmeter and when current flows through it -- why would there be an decrease in the reading of the voltmeter from the former to the latter case?

Using V=IR, when I increases due to current flowing through voltmeter but initially there us none, the voltmeter reading should increase.

Using the same equation V=IR, when resistance of the voltmeter has decreased(no longer infinite resistance voltmeter to allow current to flow through it) then considering that factor alone the voltmeter reading should decrease.

Why is the latter case the correct one?- where voltmeter reading decrease (to be less than the emf) from a case of no current through voltmeter to a case where there is current through the voltmeter (the explanation or formula used may be wrong)
And i may have to rephrase my first qn- would the ammeter reading change from a case where no voltmeter is attached and the circuit is in series to a case where a voltmeter is attached as shown above and current PASSES through it?

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge, usually carried by electrons, through a conductive material. It is a form of energy that is essential for most modern technology and daily life.

2. How does current work?

Current is the movement of electric charge in a circuit. It is caused by the flow of electrons from a negative to a positive electrical potential. The amount of current is measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on the voltage and resistance in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is when the flow of electric charge periodically reverses direction, while DC (direct current) is when the flow of electric charge remains in the same direction. AC is typically used for large-scale power distribution, while DC is used for smaller electronic devices.

4. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in multiple ways, such as through the use of generators, batteries, solar panels, or wind turbines. These methods involve converting other forms of energy, such as mechanical or chemical energy, into electrical energy.

5. What are the safety precautions for working with electricity?

When working with electricity, it is important to follow safety precautions to avoid the risk of electrical shock or injury. These include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper grounding and insulation, and turning off power sources before working on electrical equipment. It is also important to have a basic understanding of electrical circuits and to never touch live wires or outlets.