1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current flowing in a Resistor

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    AB, BC and CD are three resistors connected together at B and C. AB = 12 ohms, BC = 7 ohms, CD = 6 ohms. A battery of emf 48V and internal resistance 0.5 ohms has it positive pole connected to B and its negative connected to D. A battery of emf 74V and internal resistance 1 ohm has its positive pole connected to A and its negative pole connected to C. Find the current flowing in BC.

2. Relevant equations
    E = I(R +r)
    V = IR

3. The attempt at a solution

To be honest, I'm clueless.

I tried using E = I(R + r) but unsure how to add up resistors in a triangle :S

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2
    I'm not sure of your circuit. Whnat does "connected together at B and C mean?

4. May 20, 2013 #3
    I am not exactly sure either, I've just copied word for word the question my professor has given.

5. May 20, 2013 #4
    You should be able to draw the schematic with two current loops. Using Kirchoff's law, you can have two equations with two currents. Solve them simultaneously.

6. May 20, 2013 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then tell your professor that he has not provided enough information for there to be a solution.

7. May 20, 2013 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

An interpretation that seems to fit the bill:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58885&stc=1&d=1369068448.gif

Attached Files:

8. May 20, 2013 #7
    I think that there are 3 resistors in series. There are 4 terminals. 12 ohms between a and B, 7 ohms between B and C and 6 ohms between C and D. 48 volt battery with .5 ohm internal resistance connected with + to B and - to D.

9. May 20, 2013 #8
    Using gneil's diagram I'd just split it into 2 loops and then as 'barryj' suggested, solve them simultaneously.

Will try this and check if its right.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted