What is the current flowing in resistor BC in a complex circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with three resistors, AB, BC, and CD, connected together at B and C. AB has a resistance of 12 ohms, BC has a resistance of 7 ohms, and CD has a resistance of 6 ohms. Two batteries, one with an emf of 48V and internal resistance of 0.5 ohms, and the other with an emf of 74V and internal resistance of 1 ohm, are connected to the circuit. The question asks to find the current flowing in BC. The suggested solution involves drawing a schematic with two current loops and using Kirchoff's law to solve for two equations with two unknown currents.
kingstar

Homework Statement

AB, BC and CD are three resistors connected together at B and C. AB = 12 ohms, BC = 7 ohms, CD = 6 ohms. A battery of emf 48V and internal resistance 0.5 ohms has it positive pole connected to B and its negative connected to D. A battery of emf 74V and internal resistance 1 ohm has its positive pole connected to A and its negative pole connected to C. Find the current flowing in BC.

Homework Equations

E = I(R +r)
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I'm clueless.

I tried using E = I(R + r) but unsure how to add up resistors in a triangle :S

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of your circuit. Whnat does "connected together at B and C mean?

barryj said:
I'm not sure of your circuit. Whnat does "connected together at B and C mean?

I am not exactly sure either, I've just copied word for word the question my professor has given.

You should be able to draw the schematic with two current loops. Using Kirchoff's law, you can have two equations with two currents. Solve them simultaneously.

kingstar said:
I am not exactly sure either, I've just copied word for word the question my professor has given.

Then tell your professor that he has not provided enough information for there to be a solution.

An interpretation that seems to fit the bill:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58885&stc=1&d=1369068448.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 524
I think that there are 3 resistors in series. There are 4 terminals. 12 ohms between a and B, 7 ohms between B and C and 6 ohms between C and D. 48 volt battery with .5 ohm internal resistance connected with + to B and - to D.

Using gneil's diagram I'd just split it into 2 loops and then as 'barryj' suggested, solve them simultaneously.

Will try this and check if its right.

Thanks.

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is designed to resist the flow of electric current. It is typically made of a material that has high resistance, such as carbon or metal, and is used to control the amount of current flowing in a circuit.

2. How does current flow in a resistor?

Current flows in a resistor when a voltage is applied across it. This voltage creates an electric field that pushes electrons through the resistor, causing them to lose energy and slow down as they pass through the material.

3. What is the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance in a resistor?

According to Ohm's Law, the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance in a resistor can be expressed as V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. This means that the current flowing through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the resistor.

4. How does the size of a resistor affect the flow of current?

The size of a resistor, or more specifically, its resistance, directly affects the flow of current. A larger resistor with higher resistance will impede the flow of current more, while a smaller resistor with lower resistance will allow more current to flow through it.

5. Why is it important to use the correct resistor in a circuit?

Using the correct resistor in a circuit is important because it helps to control the flow of current and prevent damage to other components. If a resistor with too low of a resistance is used, it can cause an excessive amount of current to flow, potentially damaging other components. On the other hand, using a resistor with too high of a resistance can limit the flow of current too much, affecting the functionality of the circuit.