1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current/Frequency Question

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A beam of electrons is hitting a block of metal with current A. What is the frequency they are hitting the block?

2. Relevant equations
    i=q/t

3. The attempt at a solution

i=q/t => 1/t=i/q. So then 1/t=A/e, where e is the elementary charge.
    This may in fact be right. Our prof gave it to us as a question to think about and I want to know what everyone else is thinking.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let dn/dt = the number of electrons per unit time flowing (ie. the frequency at which electrons hit the block).

What is the current in terms of dn/dt?

AM

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    Wouldn't that just be like I said, the current divided by the charge, thus saying how many electrons per unit time. [A]/[C] * e=[C*s]/[C]=1/[C] * e = 1/ electrons.

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It was not clear what you meant by t or 1/t. The number of electrons per second is the Current (in coulombs/sec or Amperes) divided by the charge of one electron (in Coulombs). If that is what you meant by 1/t then you were correct.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook