PERE'S LAW AND THE FREQUENCY OF ELECTRON BEAM IMPACTS ON METAL

• Thread starter promiseskept
  • Start date
In summary: It was not clear what you meant by t or 1/t. The number of electrons per second is the Current (in coulombs/sec or Amperes) divided by the charge of one electron (in Coulombs). If that is what you meant by 1/t then you were correct.
promiseskept

Homework Statement

A beam of electrons is hitting a block of metal with current A. What is the frequency they are hitting the block?

Homework Equations

i=q/t

The Attempt at a Solution

i=q/t => 1/t=i/q. So then 1/t=A/e, where e is the elementary charge.
This may in fact be right. Our prof gave it to us as a question to think about and I want to know what everyone else is thinking.

Physics news on Phys.org
promiseskept said:

Homework Statement

A beam of electrons is hitting a block of metal with current A. What is the frequency they are hitting the block?

Homework Equations

i=q/t

The Attempt at a Solution

i=q/t => 1/t=i/q. So then 1/t=A/e, where e is the elementary charge.
This may in fact be right. Our prof gave it to us as a question to think about and I want to know what everyone else is thinking.
Let dn/dt = the number of electrons per unit time flowing (ie. the frequency at which electrons hit the block).

What is the current in terms of dn/dt?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Let dn/dt = the number of electrons per unit time flowing (ie. the frequency at which electrons hit the block).

What is the current in terms of dn/dt?

AM

Wouldn't that just be like I said, the current divided by the charge, thus saying how many electrons per unit time. [A]/[C] * e=[C*s]/[C]=1/[C] * e = 1/ electrons.

promiseskept said:
Wouldn't that just be like I said, the current divided by the charge, thus saying how many electrons per unit time. [A]/[C] * e=[C*s]/[C]=1/[C] * e = 1/ electrons.
It was not clear what you meant by t or 1/t. The number of electrons per second is the Current (in coulombs/sec or Amperes) divided by the charge of one electron (in Coulombs). If that is what you meant by 1/t then you were correct.

AM

1. What is the difference between current and frequency?

Current and frequency are two different physical quantities that are often used to describe the behavior of electrical circuits. Current refers to the flow of electric charge, while frequency refers to the number of cycles or oscillations per second in an alternating current.

2. How are current and frequency related?

The relationship between current and frequency depends on the type of circuit. In a direct current (DC) circuit, current remains constant and frequency is not applicable. In an alternating current (AC) circuit, current and frequency are directly proportional, meaning that as frequency increases, so does current.

3. What are the units of current and frequency?

Current is typically measured in amperes (A) and frequency is measured in hertz (Hz). However, depending on the context, other units such as milliamperes (mA) or kilohertz (kHz) may be used.

4. How do current and frequency affect the behavior of electronic devices?

The behavior of electronic devices is affected by both current and frequency. Generally, higher current can cause devices to overheat and potentially damage them, while frequency can affect the performance and stability of electronic components.

5. How do I measure current and frequency?

Current can be measured using an ammeter, which is typically connected in series with the circuit. Frequency can be measured using an oscilloscope, which displays the waveforms of electrical signals. Both current and frequency can also be measured using multimeters, which are versatile instruments that can measure a variety of electrical quantities.