Current from a faraday disc

In summary, calculating the current from a Faraday disc is more complicated than just finding the voltage due to back emf. However, there are ways to increase efficiency, such as using a flat coil in a specific direction to enhance the magnetic field. A helpful resource for further understanding can be found at the link provided by Drakkith.
charlie r
Hi,

How do you calculate the current from a faraday disc? I have found calculations for the voltage, but what about the current?
I think it is a bit more complicated due to back emf, but if you know what motor you are using (the torque it can generate), then can you work it out?
Thanks for any help,

Charlie

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Drakkith, great link.
It seems that this isn't as simple as i first hoped it was!

Charlie

If you use a flat coil instead of solid disk and coil is wind in such direction, that its magnetic field adds to the field of stator magnets, the generator will be more efficient.

Hello Charlie,

Calculating the current from a Faraday disc involves understanding the principles of electromagnetic induction. The Faraday disc is a type of generator that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the rotation of a disc in a magnetic field. The voltage produced by the Faraday disc can be calculated using the formula V = B * l * w * sin(theta) * N, where B is the magnetic field strength, l is the length of the disc, w is the width of the disc, theta is the angle between the magnetic field and the disc, and N is the number of turns in the coil.

To calculate the current, you will need to know the resistance of the circuit that the Faraday disc is connected to. Using Ohm's law (I = V/R), you can calculate the current by dividing the voltage by the resistance. However, as you mentioned, the current calculation can be more complicated due to back electromotive force (EMF). This is a voltage that is generated in the opposite direction of the current flow and can decrease the overall current produced.

To account for back EMF, you will need to know the speed of the disc rotation and the strength of the magnetic field. With this information, you can use the formula V = B * l * w * omega * N, where omega is the angular velocity of the disc. This will give you a more accurate calculation of the voltage produced, which can then be used to calculate the current.

In terms of considering the torque of the motor, this will affect the speed of the disc rotation and therefore the voltage and current produced. The higher the torque of the motor, the faster the disc will rotate, resulting in a higher voltage and current output. However, the torque alone cannot determine the current, as it is also influenced by the resistance and back EMF.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is a faraday disc?

A faraday disc is a type of electromagnetic generator that produces electrical current through the rotation of a disc-shaped conductor in a magnetic field.

2. How is current generated in a faraday disc?

Current is generated in a faraday disc through electromagnetic induction. When the disc rotates in a magnetic field, it cuts through magnetic field lines, creating a change in magnetic flux and inducing an electric current in the disc.

3. What factors affect the amount of current produced in a faraday disc?

The amount of current produced in a faraday disc is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, the size and material of the disc, and the number of turns in the conductor.

4. What is the purpose of a faraday disc?

A faraday disc is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is commonly used in power plants and electric generators to produce electricity for various applications.

5. Can a faraday disc produce alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC)?

A faraday disc can produce both AC and DC current, depending on the design and use of external components such as a commutator or slip rings. In its simplest form, a faraday disc generates AC current, but with the addition of a commutator, it can produce DC current.