• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Current from square wave into inductor in series with cap and resistor in parallel

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date

Homework Statement

In the circuit of Fig. 16(a), the voltage v has the periodic waveform shown in Fig. 16(b) with a period of 4 us and an amplitude of 20 V.

trickytricky.png

Homework Equations

i = Cdv/dt

v = Ldi/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that x is constant (at its average value), draw a dimensioned sketch of the waveform
of iL(t) and determine its maximum and minimum values.

x = 5 (as duty cycle is 1/4 => 20/4)
Therefore at begining of cycle v = 20 => inductor has drop of 15v across it

using v = Ldi/dt
di/dt = 15/2e-3
= 7500 Amp per sec
i = 7.5mA

So in one microsecond the current in the inductor goes from 0 to 7.5mA agreed? I've presumed the charge is linear, is this correct? Why?

Now after 1us the v is 0 volts for 3us. This means the inductor's magnetic field will collapse into the capacitor or resistor or both?

Thanks
Thomas

Answers and Replies

Nope. The current isn't starting up at zero.

You need to find the average current too (you have a resistor with an average voltage already so this is easy.)

The inductor current won't collapse. It will be a triangle wave up and down with the applied voltage riding on top of a steady DC current.

Okay the current to begin with is 20/R = 5/1000 = 5mA. Average current at iR = 5/1000 = 5mA through the resistor. Correct? Why is the shape straight lines (not exponentially stuff)

?????????????