What current is needed for an equilateral triangle formation with three wires?

In summary, the problem involves finding the current that will allow the top wire to "float" and form an equilateral triangle with the lower wires, given that they all have the same linear mass density and are attached to a table. By setting the y-components of the magnetic forces equal to the force of gravity on the top wire, the equation is solved to find the current, which is found to be 319A. However, this answer is incorrect because the angle used in the equation should be for sin(60) instead of sin(30).
dongeto

Homework Statement

The figure is a cross section through three long wires with linear mass density 52.0g/m. They each carry equal currents in the directions shown. The lower two wires are 4.0 cm apart and are attached to a table. (please see attachment) Just in case attachment is not working (top wire is going out of page and above lower wires, which are going into the page.) What current will allow the upper wire to "float" so as to form an equilateral triangle with the lower wires?

View attachment 3 wires.doc

Homework Equations

F=uLI^2/(2pid)

F=mg

(please see attached for better format for equations)

ATTACH]13181[/ATTACH]

The Attempt at a Solution

since current in lower wires are in opposite direction from top wires, therefore they repel each other. The y-components from each lower two wires must equal force of gravity of top wire:

mg = 2 x uLI^2/(2pid)sin30
solve for I, assume L=1 m and where d=0.04m, mg=0.5096N
I=319A...but why is this not the right answer?

Attachments

• eqns.doc
    16.5 KB · Views: 2,091
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dongeto said:
The y-components from each lower two wires must equal force of gravity of top wire:

mg = 2 x uLI^2/(2pid)
Looks like you forgot to take the y-component of the magnetic forces.

oh sorry...I forgot to put sin 30 in the equation but i still got 319A

I= sqrt [(0.5096*pi*0.04)/((4pi*10^-7)*sin 30)]=319A

I get the same answer. Who says it's wrong?

i entered that answer in mastering physics and its incorrect

can someone please help...this is due tmr...thanks

The angle of each force with the horizontal is 60 degrees, not 30; so you should use sin(60). (D'oh! I made the same error.)

k...i get it...thank you very much Doc Al!

1. What is the "current in 3 wires problem"?

The "current in 3 wires problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the current flowing through three parallel wires connected to a voltage source. It is commonly used in introductory electricity and magnetism courses to illustrate the concept of parallel circuits.

2. How do I solve the "current in 3 wires problem"?

To solve the "current in 3 wires problem", you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law. First, apply KCL at each junction to determine the total current flowing into and out of the junction. Then, use Ohm's Law to determine the individual currents in each wire based on their respective resistances and the total current at the junction.

3. What are the assumptions made in solving the "current in 3 wires problem"?

The "current in 3 wires problem" assumes that the wires are ideal conductors with no resistance and that the voltage source is an ideal source with no internal resistance. It also assumes that the wires are connected in parallel and that the current is flowing in the same direction in each wire.

4. Can the "current in 3 wires problem" be applied to real-life circuits?

Yes, the principles used to solve the "current in 3 wires problem" can be applied to real-life parallel circuits. However, in real-life circuits, there will be some resistance in the wires and the voltage source, which will affect the calculations and may result in slightly different currents.

5. How does changing the resistance of one wire affect the current in the other wires in the "current in 3 wires problem"?

In the "current in 3 wires problem", changing the resistance of one wire will not affect the current in the other wires as long as the total resistance in the circuit remains the same. This is because the current will always take the path of least resistance, so the other wires will still have the same amount of current flowing through them.