1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Current in a Battery

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1

J89

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A dead battery is charged by connecting it to the live battery of another car with jumper cables. Assume that V = 5.5 V and R = 0.50 .

What is the current of the starter and the current of the dead battery?

2. Relevant equations
    I=V/R, I1=I2+I3, basically Kirchoff's law...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought for finding the current of the starter all, you had to do was use I=V/R, so it would 5.5/.50, but it came out wrong :(. I then tried multiplying the two resistances together..still no luck, and did V/R..still no luck, however I found that the answer comes out to be 170-171, and how I have no idea how to get that. I also tried finding the current and then subtracting it from the intial voltage and divide by the intial resistance..when I did that, I got somewhere in the 100's, but no where near the answer. I came up with millions of techniques, but none worked. Can someone help? I'm really stuck on this.

DIAGRAM BELOW FOR REFERENCE..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    You've got 3 unknowns, which are [tex]I_1, I_2, I_3 [/tex]

Now search 3 equations that can solve your unknowns.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook