Current in Branch: Node Method Calculation

In summary: R1 | ... | | | | | ... | | | | | ...I1| | | | ( )____|___|_____|The I1 is the current that you are looking for.In summary, when a voltage source is connected to a node in series with a resistance connected to the ground, the current across the resistor can be determined using the equation (V1 - Vg)/1k, where Vg is the ground node voltage defined as 0V. If the circuit is a single loop, the current can be found by dividing the voltage of the source by the total
esmeco
I was wondering,when we have a voltage source connected to a node in series with a resistance connected to the ground like this: ,when determining the current on the branches through node method is the current on that branch 5/1k or v1+5/1k?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/esmeco/branchcurrent.jpg

and a resistance co

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The current across the resistor is:

[tex] \frac{V_1-V_g}{1k} | V_g = 0 [/tex]

Ground is a node voltage also, you just define it as [itex] 0V[/itex]

On a side note, if someone reads this thread...how do I make the "|" larger in LaTeX?

Last edited:
FrogPad said:

On a side note, if someone reads this thread...how do I make the "|" larger in LaTeX?

Test:

[tex] \left| \frac{V_1-V_g}{1k} \, \right| \, V_g = 0 [/tex]

hmm...was trying the \left and \right command which works for brackets \left( content \right). I only got it to work with a leading \left| command to go with the \right|.

Test2:

[tex] \frac{V_1-V_g}{1k} \, \Bigg| \, V_g = 0 [/tex]

Test3, finally got it :smile:

[tex]| \big| \Big| \bigg| \Bigg|[/tex]

Last edited:
nazzard said:
Test:

[tex] \frac{V_1-V_g}{1k} \, \right| \, V_g = 0 [/tex]

hmm...was trying the \left and \right command which works for brackets \left( content \right)
I must be brain dead (well, it is Friday afternoon, and it's been a tough week). What equation are you guys trying to write (a power?), and what is the "|" character supposed to be? Sorry if I'm being totally lame. Maybe I should go home... :uhh:

So,the current that passes through the branch where is the voltage source in series with a resistance is (5v-0v)/1k?

esmeco said:
So,the current that passes through the branch where is the voltage source in series with a resistance is (5v-0v)/1k?
Nope, not necessarily. If you erase the little stub at the lower left that is labelled I1, and the little stub off the lower right that goes nowhere, then the loop current is 5V/(R1+R2). But if you inject some extra I1 current in that lower left stub (without showing it in a standard way, BTW) or something-something at the lower right stub, then you need to take that into account...

nazzard said:
Test:

[tex] \left| \frac{V_1-V_g}{1k} \, \right| \, V_g = 0 [/tex]

hmm...was trying the \left and \right command which works for brackets \left( content \right). I only got it to work with a leading \left| command to go with the \right|.

Test2:

[tex] \frac{V_1-V_g}{1k} \, \Bigg| \, V_g = 0 [/tex]

Test3, finally got it :smile:

[tex]| \big| \Big| \bigg| \Bigg|[/tex]

:rofl: :smile:

thanks man!

Yeah I was trying the \left and \right commands, but wasn't getting it either. Well cool. I didn't know about the big commands. Thanks again :)

berkeman said:
I must be brain dead (well, it is Friday afternoon, and it's been a tough week). What equation are you guys trying to write (a power?), and what is the "|" character supposed to be? Sorry if I'm being totally lame. Maybe I should go home... :uhh:

[tex] f(x,y,z,t) = t(x+y+z) [/tex]

[tex] f(x,y,z,t) \, \Bigg| \, \begin{array}{c} x=y=z=1 & t =4 \end{array} \,\,\, = 2(1+1+1) [/tex]

I believe it means evaluated at, or where...

FrogPad said:

And to clarify this above, it would be:
[tex] I_{R1} = \frac{V_1-V_g}{1k}=\frac{V_1 -(0)}{1k} = \frac{5}{1k} [/tex]

But the equation for the node on the left(since the other node is ground) is:

1 + (v1-0)/1k + 5/1k=0

Or is:

1 + (v1-0)/1k + (v1-5)/1k=0

Edit:Thanks for the reply!

FrogPad said:

[tex] f(x,y,z,t) \, \Bigg| \, \begin{array}{c} x=y=z=1 & t =4 \end{array} \,\,\, = 2(1+1+1) [/tex]

Ohhhhh! Evaluated at! Now I get what you were trying to do. But the evaluation condition would normally be in smaller font, down at the bottom of the long vertical line, I believe. At least that's how I've seen it before.

I feel much better now. Have a good weekend, all.

berkeman said:
Ohhhhh! Evaluated at! Now I get what you were trying to do. But the evaluation condition would normally be in smaller font, down at the bottom of the long vertical line, I believe. At least that's how I've seen it before.
:smile: Yeah. I don't know how to do that in LaTeX though :frown:

berkeman said:
I feel much better now. Have a good weekend, all.
You too man, have a good one!

FrogPad said:

Another test-session:

[tex] f(x,y,z,t) \, \Big|_{\substack {x=y=z=1 \\ t =4}} \, = 2(1+1+1) [/tex]

_{\substack{content}} does the trick. Not sure if it could be placed further down, so that the equals sign is placed more to the left.

Last edited:
esmeco said:
But the equation for the node on the left(since the other node is ground) is:

1 + (v1-0)/1k + 5/1k=0

Or is:

1 + (v1-0)/1k + (v1-5)/1k=0

Edit:Thanks for the reply!

Where is the 1 from!?

esmeco said:
But the equation for the node on the left
I don't know what this means. Label the node you are talking about, and post that circuit.For sake of clarity. Let's just assume that your circuit is a single loop. Thus those little branches at the bottom are not connected to anything, so they therefore have no current running through them.

so your circuit looks something like this:
Code:
   ____/\/\/______
  |                     |
  |                     |
( + )                  |
( - )                   |--|||
  |                     |
  |____/\/\/_____|

Now if you want to use nodal analysis, you have use a super node. So you label TWO nodes. Both are on the left hand side. One you have already labeled V1, the other let's call V0 (and this is in the bottom left hand corner).

The super node expression is:
[tex] \frac{V_0-V_g}{R_2}+\frac{V_1-V_g}{R_1}=0[/tex]

You write the expression for the voltage:
[tex] V_1-V_0 = 5 [/tex]

And also note that Vg is defined as 0V so:

[tex] V_g = 0 [/tex]

THUS,
[tex] \frac{V_0}{R_2}+\frac{V_1}{R_1}=0[/tex]
[tex] V_1-V_0 = 5 [/tex]

Does that make sense?

nazzard said:
Another test-session:

[tex] f(x,y,z,t) \, \Big|_{\substack {x=y=z=1 \\ t =4}} \, = 2(1+1+1) [/tex]

dude you are the man at LaTeX! :smile:

To be really picky :biggrin: do you know how to left-justify the expression at the evaluated-at symbol?

Last edited:
FrogPad said:
dude you are the man at LaTeX! :smile:

To be really picky :biggrin: do you know how to left-justify the expression at the evaluated-at symbol?

I'm just clicking on various examples in the following thread :wink:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

[tex] f(x,y,z,t) \, \Big|_{\begin{subarray}{l} x=y=z=1 \\ t =4 \end{subarray}} \, = 2(1+1+1) [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the node method calculation?

The node method calculation is a technique used to analyze electrical circuits and determine the voltage and current at each node or connection point in the circuit. It is based on the law of conservation of charge, which states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node must be equal to zero.

2. How is the node method calculation used in circuit analysis?

The node method calculation is used to simplify complex electrical circuits by breaking them down into individual nodes and applying Kirchhoff's current law to each node. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of voltages and currents in the circuit.

3. What are the steps involved in the node method calculation?

The steps involved in the node method calculation are as follows:

1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
  2. Choose a reference node and label it as 0V.
  3. Apply Kirchhoff's current law to each node, setting the sum of currents entering the node equal to the sum of currents leaving the node.
  4. Set up equations for each node using Ohm's law and any given values for resistors or voltage sources.
  5. Solve the simultaneous equations to determine the voltage and current at each node.

4. What are the advantages of using the node method calculation?

The advantages of using the node method calculation include:

• It allows for a systematic and organized approach to solving complex circuits.
  • It can be used for both DC and AC circuits.
  • It can handle circuits with multiple voltage sources and resistors in parallel.
  • It can be applied to any type of circuit, including series, parallel, and combination circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using the node method calculation?

While the node method calculation is a useful tool for circuit analysis, it does have some limitations:

• It can only be used for linear circuits, meaning circuits with linear components such as resistors and ideal voltage sources.
  • It cannot be used for circuits with non-linear components such as diodes or transistors.
  • It may result in a large number of equations to solve for more complex circuits, making it more time-consuming.
  • It requires a good understanding of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to correctly apply the method.