Find Current at Point T in Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the current at point T in a circuit using Ohm's law and the principle of conservation of charge at the junction. The final equation is IT = k.IA, where k is a value that can be determined using the known resistances of the circuit.
nikolafmf

Homework Statement

The circuit is given as in the attachment. All resistors have known resistance and the inner resistance of the ammeter in known. The current which is measured by the ammeter is known. What is the current at the point T?

Homework Equations

Ohm's law: V=IR. Also at each junction, Iin=Iout.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let R0 be the resistance of the ammeter, I1 be the current at the point T, I2 be the current at resistor R2 and IA be the current at ammeter. It follows that IAR0=I2R2, from which I2 follows. Then I1=I2+IA.

That is what I think is true. But, given the values of resistances of all resistors which I didn't use in the calculation, I start to wonder if I miss something. Am I right or wrong?

Attachments

• img024.jpg
    img024.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right so far, but not yet finished. You should end up with something like

IT = k.IA where k is a value you determine

NascentOxygen said:
You are right so far, but not yet finished. You should end up with something like

IT = k.IA where k is a value you determine

Isn't IT=I2+IA? (conservation of charge at the junction)

nikolafmf said:
Isn't IT=I2+IA? (conservation of charge at the junction)
Correct. But we don't know I2 so eliminate it from the equation.

NascentOxygen said:
Correct. But we don't know I2 so eliminate it from the equation.

But I2=IAR0/R2...

1. How do you calculate the current at a specific point in a circuit?

To calculate the current at a specific point in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I = V/R. You will need to know the voltage and resistance values for the components in the circuit, and then use the formula to find the current at the desired point.

2. What factors affect the current at a specific point in a circuit?

The current at a specific point in a circuit can be affected by several factors, including the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the components in the circuit, and the type of circuit (e.g. series or parallel). Other factors such as temperature, wire thickness, and length can also impact the current.

3. Can the current at a specific point in a circuit change over time?

Yes, the current at a specific point in a circuit can change over time. This can happen if there is a change in the voltage or resistance of the circuit, or if components are added or removed from the circuit. In some cases, the current may also change due to environmental factors such as temperature.

4. What tools or equipment are needed to measure the current at a specific point in a circuit?

To measure the current at a specific point in a circuit, you will need a multimeter. This is a device that can measure voltage, resistance, and current. Depending on the complexity of the circuit, you may also need other tools such as a power supply, resistors, and wires.

5. How does the direction of current flow impact the current at a specific point in a circuit?

The direction of current flow does not impact the current at a specific point in a circuit. Current always flows from a higher potential (positive side of the power source) to a lower potential (negative side of the power source), regardless of the direction of flow. The magnitude of the current may change depending on the direction, but it will still be the same at a specific point in the circuit.