Why does current remain constant in a series circuit?

In summary, in a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout the entire circuit because the series resistance behaves like one big resistor. This is similar to water flowing through a hose, where the amount of water entering at one end will be the same as the amount exiting at the other end, regardless of any restrictions in the hose.
Jack John
why is current SAME in a series circuit ? i know it's one path, so what if there's one path? can you please answer with a visual and helpful explanation ? i don't understand this concept. i want to know why does it stay the same in the whole circuit ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A series path can be comprised of multiple resistors. Total resistance of the path would be the sum of all resistances. If you apply voltage between the beginning and end of the path, a current will start flowing according to Ohm's law.

[tex] i = \frac {V}{R} [/tex]

So basically series resistance behaves like a one big resistor.

This is one of those situations where the annalogy between electrical current and water flow can prove usefull. Suppose you poor water into one end of a hose. If you poor in 5 gal./min. at one end, then 5 gallons per minute will have to come out the other end. If you put a restriction somewhere in the hose, you'll need to apply more pressure at the one end in order to get those same 5 gallons per minute to flow in. If you place several more restrictions, you'll increase the amount of pressure needed. If the additional pressure is not applied, the rate of flow will slow down, but the amount of water flowing in one end will always be the same as the amount flowing out the other end, because there is "only one path"; nowhere else for the flow to go.

Last edited:

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a single loop, such that the current flows through each component in sequence. In other words, the same current flows through each component in the circuit.

2. How is current affected in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains constant at all points in the circuit. This means that the current flowing into each component is the same as the current flowing out of the component. This is because there is only one path for the current to flow in a series circuit.

3. What happens to the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances of each component. This means that as more components are added to the circuit, the total resistance increases. This results in a decrease in the current flowing through the circuit.

4. How does voltage behave in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components. This means that the voltage across each component is directly proportional to its resistance. For example, if a component has a higher resistance, it will have a higher voltage drop across it compared to a component with a lower resistance.

5. What is the formula for calculating current in a series circuit?

The formula for calculating current in a series circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the total resistance in ohms. This formula can also be rewritten as I = E/R, where E is the voltage supplied by the power source.