Ionic Solution Current Calculation

• Thread starter chainsaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation is discussing the magnitude of current in an ionic solution where 5.0*10^15 positive ions with +2e charge pass to the right and 6.0*10^15 negative ions with -e charge pass to the left. The calculation to determine the current was initially incorrect, but after recalculating it, the result is 6.4E-4. The conversation also mentions that there must be two different solutions in the electrolyte, resulting in a net flow of -3e charge towards the left.
chainsaw
I don't even know what equation to use!

In an ionic solution, 5.0*10^15 positive ions with +2e charge pass to the right each second while 6.0*10^15 negative ions with charge -e pass to the left.

What is the magnitude of current in the solution?

(5.0*10^15)*(2*1.6*10^-19) - (6.0*10^15)*(1.6*10^-19)=8.3*10^-4

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the calculation.

my calculation was wrong, when I recalculated it i got 6.4E-4, and that was still wrong
What equation should i use?

There must be two different solutions in the electrolyte. So when +2e charge from one solution moving toward right,-2e charge is moving towards left. This adds to -e charge from the second solution. So net flow of charge is -3e towards left.

What is current in a solution?

Current in a solution refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductive solution. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of ions or electrons within the solution.

How is current in a solution measured?

Current in a solution is typically measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the amount of electric current passing through a circuit. It is important to note that the resistance of the solution can also affect the measurement of current.

What factors affect the flow of current in a solution?

The flow of current in a solution can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of ions or electrons in the solution, the temperature of the solution, and the presence of any impurities or contaminants.

Can current in a solution be controlled?

Yes, the flow of current in a solution can be controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to the solution or by changing the concentration of ions or electrons. This is commonly seen in applications such as electroplating and electrolysis.

What are some real-world applications of current in a solution?

Current in a solution has many practical applications, such as in batteries, fuel cells, and electroplating processes. It is also used in medical applications, such as in electrolyte solutions for IV drips and in medical imaging techniques like electroencephalography (EEG) and electrocardiography (ECG).