1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current in a Wire.

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The force exerted on a current carrying wire located in an external magnetic field is directly proportional to which of the following?
    a. current in the wire
    b. magnetic field strength
    c. length of the wire
    d. answers a, b and c are all correct
    e. none of the above are correct

3. The attempt at a solution
    pretty sure its D. just wanted to get a second opinion. thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2
    Yo man, that sounds like an IB paper 1 question.

You doing IB Physics too?
  4. Apr 30, 2007 #3
    wakejosh, the force exerted on a current carrying wire located in an external magnetic field is given by the following expression:

What does that tell you? :)
  5. Apr 30, 2007 #4
    well, it tells me that A and B are correct, but i'm just not totally sure if C is correct, but since I dont have any options to say that A and B are correct, then I am thinking D has to be the correct answer, and that wire length is also important.
  6. Apr 30, 2007 #5
    Good use of logic skills there!

But the integral of dl is length... so the equation does tell you about length.
  7. May 1, 2007 #6
    wakejosh, the thing is when you integrate between "A" and "B", what you get is the length (of course, if both the current intensity and magnetic field don't depend on the length, you can simply extract them from the antiderivative and when you integrate, you simply get the length).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?