1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current in a wire

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the current density in a wire or radius R is given by J = kr, 0 < r < R , what is the current in the wire?

2. Relevant equations
    I used j = I/A, the definition of current density: current per unit cross sectional area.
    the formula for the area of a circle and for a cylinder

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I tried to do the cross sectional area (a circle) times the current density, but I got none of the answer that were displayed, and by just using a circle, I'm only finding the current for a small section of the wire. So I found the area of a cylinder.

A = 2*pi*R*L (L is the length of the cylinder, not given in the problem)
    j = kr

so A*j = 2*pi*R*L*k*r
    if you set L and r = to R (no idea why you'd do this), then you get 2*pi*R^3*k, but the correct answer is (2*pi*k*R^3)/3?

What am I missing here, because this should be a pretty straight forward question... i think.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The current density is not constant across the cross section, but is a function of r. Integrate!

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3
    Ok, I understand that it's not constant everywhere, it's an average (from my understanding). So how do you get 2 *(k*pi*R^3)/3??

I can only get (k*pi*R^3)/3. What i did this time was use the cross sectional area A = pi*R^2 and I multiplied it by current density j = k*r. I then set up the integral:
    I = ∫ [0,R] k*pi*R^2*dr (I substituted r for dr because for the current density function, r is any radius between 0 and R)
    I = (k*pi*R^3)/3

A circle is the right cross sectional shape, correct? And am I integrating the correct bounds? I'm really confused about this question.

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You can't use a disk, since the current density is not constant over a disk. Instead, break the cross section into rings of thickness dr. What's the area of each ring? Use that to set up your integral.
    See above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook