1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current in AC Generator

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An ac generator with a frequency of F=25 Hz and an rms voltage of 15 V is connected to a C=32 µF capacitor. Assume that the generator produces a sinusoidal waveform.

(a) What is the maximum current in the circuit? mA

(b) What is the current in the circuit when the voltage across the capacitor is 7.5 V and increasing?
    (c) What is the current in the circuit when the voltage across the capacitor is 7.5 V and decreasing?

2. Relevant equations

Irms= Vrms*Xc

Irms= [1/(2)^(1/2)]* Imax

3. The attempt at a solution

part (a): already figured it out using Irms= Vrms*Xc and got the answer of 106.629 mA, which is correct.

part (b) and (c): I tried using the Irms= Vrms*Xc equation and plugging in 7.5 Volts as V and solving for I, since I already have Xc which is just 1/(angular freq. * Capacitance)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2
    What again is ohms law?

4. Feb 21, 2007 #3
    Ohm's Law is V=IR

The equation I was using above (Irms= Vrms*Xc ), is analagous to Ohm's law (well, according to my textbook), just rearranged.

*Edit*

I meant to type Irms= Vrms/Xc, not multiplied in my previous 2 posts.

5. Feb 21, 2007 #4
    Ah, okay its [tex]V = I X[/tex]. units look okay now
    But what again is X and how might I calculate it?

*edit*
    sorry, i see you got it, those formulae disturb me though:biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  6. Feb 21, 2007 #5
    I solved the equation!

X is just 1/(2*pi*frequency*capacitance).

To figure the problem out, I used the equation to find the instanteous voltage on a capacitator:

V=Vmax*sin(theta-90degrees).

To find theta, I just found the Vmax by using the Vrms (15V) and multiplying it by 2^(0.5). Then, I plugged in for the equation:

7.5=Vmax*sin(theta) and solved for theta.

Then, I took theta and plugged it in to

Current=Current (max) *sin (theta)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?