1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current in circuit (bulbs)

1. Jan 1, 2017 #1
    elec.JPG

2. Relevant equations
    Power = VI

3. The attempt at a solution

Since lamp M breaks, lamp L gets more of the current so its brightness increases and lamp N's brightness stays the same because the current at point 2 is the same if the other lamp breaks or not, so N's brightness should not be affected.

So my answer is A but the correct answer is D?? What have I done wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2017 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The current through N will also change, as the resultant resistance changes when lamp M breaks.

4. Jan 1, 2017 #3
    I get it now.

since the parallel combo is no more, resistance has increased across the circuit so less current for both, so N decreases but L increases since it has more current in resistance than in parallel. Thanks.

5. Jan 1, 2017 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct, but can you derive what are the powers on the lamps in both cases, to prove your statement? The EMF of the battery is E and each lamp has resistance r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted