1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Current in Circuit Problem

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Question is number 18 in this link: http://www.sewanee.edu/physics/PHYSICS102/Ch28.pdf [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I Used X,Y,Z for currents.
    X for the segment straight down the middle.
    Y for the bottom to top segment on the left
    Z for the bottom to top segment on the right
    WHat i got was:
    X: -.5
    Y: .5
    Z: 0
    but these are wrong, since it doesn't lead to the correct answer which is (-5)
    can you tell me what currents you have?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi GlobalDuty! :wink:
    (on page 6)

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. May 23, 2010 #3
    I looked at this problem yesterday and thought I had done something wrong. I got zero current flowing through the 10V battery on that side of the circuit and 0.5 amps on the other side? I did come up with the correct answer but I was attempting to use my ideas about DC circuits and Kirchoffs rules and I cannot quite explain to myself why there is no current on the left hand side or through the 10v battery. Can anyone explain? I am sorry to interject on another persons question. If I should go back and repost I will. I just wanted an explaination.

Oh snap... I just figured it out... sorry. Continue.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook