How Do You Calculate Time-Dependent Current in an RL Circuit?

In summary: So, in summary, using Kirchhoff's rules for the instantaneous currents and voltages, the current in the inductor can be expressed as a function of time by combining the equations E-I1R1 - I3R2 = 0 and L dI2/dt - I3R2 = 0 to get E-I1R1 - L dI2/dt = 0. From there, you can use algebra to get the equation in terms of just one variable.
semc
Using Kirchhoff's rules for the instantaneous currents and voltages in the two-loop circuit, find the current in the inductor as a function of time.

I used Kirchhoff's rule on the left loop consisting of the battery and the right loop which consist of the inductor and gotten the following equations.

E-I1R1 - I3R2 = 0
L dI2/dt - I3R2 = 0

Combining both the equations give me
E-I1R1 - L dI2/dt =0

So from here how do we express I1 into I2 and R to get the differentiate equation form?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    192.8 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:
Using Kirchhoff's rules for the instantaneous currents and voltages in the two-loop circuit, find the current in the inductor as a function of time.

I used Kirchhoff's rule on the left loop consisting of the battery and the right loop which consist of the inductor and gotten the following equations.

E-I1R1 - I3R2 = 0
L dI2/dt - I3R2 = 0

Combining both the equations give me
E-I1R1 - L dI2/dt =0

So from here how do we express I1 into I2 and R to get the differentiate equation form?
Your equation for the second loop needs a negative sign in front of the first term. When you draw the currents in, put a plus sign where the current enters a capacitor, resistor, or inductor, and a minus sign where it leaves. That's the normal convention for the voltage drop across that element.

Note that you have three unknowns but only two equations. You need a third equation to solve this system. It comes from applying Kirchoff's current law to the circuit.

Do you mean the right loop when you say the second loop? Well current I3 passes through the load R2 so the potential drop -I3R2 and potential rise when it pass the inductor so +LdI2/dt? So the last equation is I1+I2=I3? So how do we proceed from here?

Given the direction you went around the loop and the direction you assumed for I2, you get a potential drop through the inductor.

You have three equations and three unknowns. It's just algebra to get it down to an equation in one variable.

1. What is a RL circuit?

A RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both resistance (R) and inductance (L) elements. It is often used to describe the behavior of electrical circuits that contain inductors, such as electromagnets.

2. What is the difference between current in a RL circuit and a RC circuit?

The main difference between current in a RL circuit and a RC circuit is the presence of inductance in the RL circuit. Inductance causes the current to lag behind the voltage in a RL circuit, whereas in a RC circuit, the current is in phase with the voltage.

3. How does the current behave in a RL circuit?

In a RL circuit, the current increases gradually as the voltage is applied, until it reaches a steady state value determined by the resistance and inductance of the circuit. Once the voltage is removed, the current will decrease gradually until it reaches zero.

4. What is the time constant of a RL circuit?

The time constant of a RL circuit is a measure of how quickly the current reaches its steady state value. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) by the inductance (L) in the circuit.

5. How does the inductance affect the current in a RL circuit?

The inductance in a RL circuit causes the current to lag behind the voltage, resulting in a phase shift. This means that in a RL circuit, the current may not reach its full value immediately, and may take some time to reach its steady state value.