Can a Hall Effect sensor detect current in a twisted cable?

In summary, there is a way to detect current /generated magnetic field using a hall effect sensor, but it is not as simple as just detecting current. You will need to get the datasheet and know the field strength produced by a wire.
sravyasekhar
Hi guys !
Is there any way to detect current /generated magnetic field using hall effect sensor ss49 ?? or any other to just detect current in that cable ? please help me .

Engineering news on Phys.org
sravyasekhar said:
Hi guys !
Is there any way to detect current /generated magnetic field using hall effect sensor ss49 ?? or any other to just detect current in that cable ? please help me .

We need information on exactly what you want to do to give a good answer. You would have to know the length, quality of the twisted pairs with the frequency and power level of the signal. In a detector system the SS49 has a sensitivity of 0.90mV/G but it's designed as an analog position switch so the frequency response of the internal amplifier might be limited.

http://redshift.vif.com/JournalFiles/V16NO3PDF/V16N3CAL.pdf

Likes berkeman
have you done any homework ?

Seems to me Honeywell provides great applications help in their Hall Effect Sensing handbook

http://sensing.honeywell.com/hallbook.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
nsaspook said:
We need information on exactly what you want to do to give a good answer. You would have to know the length, quality of the twisted pairs with the frequency and power level of the signal. In a detector system the SS49 has a sensitivity of 0.90mV/G but it's designed as an analog position switch so the frequency response of the internal amplifier might be limited.

It is for detecting current flow in any appliance that is basically to know whether a device is ON or OFF.

Last edited by a moderator:
by the current flow ,some magnetic field is induced .So by hall effect sensor I need to detect the current in the wire.

Is the current AC or DC ? How many amps do you expect ?
Do you need to know if on/off digital output ? or how many amps analogue ?

It is AC with about 1- 5A .I just need to know on /off digital output

sravyasekhar said:
It is AC with about 1- 5A .I just need to know on /off digital output
Then, yes. There is a way.

You need to get the datasheet. (Try Digikey.) Then you need to know the field strength produced by a wire. You will notice this is a small number. It is very small when compared to the curves on the data sheet. :oldcry:

So either be prepared to spend thousands of dollars on top end electronics capable of measuring microvolts, or find another solution. (According to the datasheet the output varies with supply voltage, so any noise in the supply will affect your measurements.) Perhaps you can concentrate the magnetic field using ferrite or wire loops or both. Perhaps another sensor is in order? They make clamp on current meters using hall sensors, so I know it can be done.

An inexpensive DVM with a 10A current scale would do it if you can route the 1-5 amps through the meter.

A clamp on amp meter can do it without breaking the circuit, if you can clamp one of the two conductors.

If you pass both wires of the twisted pair through the clamp, but in opposite directions, you will double the sensitivity and eliminate any common mode signal. More turns about the clamp core = more sensitivity.

Open the twisted pair either side of a half twist. Push the clamp prongs through the two holes in the cable and close it about the two wires which are now running in opposite directions so the currents sum.

Likes anorlunda
There are LED indicators that are paired up with a current transformer just for such an application. My water heater uses them. As Baluncore has suggested run multiple turns through to get the desired result. For instance, get an indicator that is made to light up in a range of 15 to 20 amps. Pass the wire in question through enough times to get it operating when you want it. These devices often have a max current spec.

What is meant by "current in twisted cable"?

Current in twisted cable refers to the flow of electric charge through a cable that has been twisted or braided to reduce electromagnetic interference. This type of cable is commonly used in electronic devices and communication systems.

How does twisting a cable affect the current?

Twisting a cable helps to minimize electromagnetic interference by canceling out the magnetic fields that are generated by the current flowing through the cable. This results in a more stable and consistent flow of current.

What are the advantages of using twisted cable?

Using twisted cable can reduce electromagnetic interference, resulting in clearer and more reliable communication signals. It also helps to improve the overall performance and efficiency of electronic devices.

Are there any disadvantages to using twisted cable?

Twisted cable can be more expensive and difficult to manufacture compared to regular cables. Additionally, it may not be suitable for high frequency applications as it can cause signal distortion.

How do I know if I need to use twisted cable?

If you are experiencing interference or poor signal quality in your electronic devices, using twisted cable may help to improve the situation. It is also commonly used in professional audio and video equipment to ensure high quality signals.