What Determines the Direction of Rotation in a Current Loop?

In summary, when a constant current flows upward in a long wire and clockwise in a nearby rectangular loop, the loop does not rotate. This is because the magnetic forces on the sides of the loop act in a way that cancels out any rotation. The strength of the forces alone is not enough to determine the direction of rotation.
syhpui2

Homework Statement

Consider a long wire running in the vertical direction with a rectangular loop of wire beside it as shown. Now suppose that a constant current, I, flows upward along the long wire, and the same magnitude current, I, flows clockwise in the loop.

As viewed from the top of the page, in which direction does the loop rotate?

(a) clockwise
(b) counterclockwise
(c) The loop does not rotate.

Answer:C

n6Vbw.png

http://i.imgur.com/n6Vbw.png

Homework Equations

F=BIXL

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried use RHR with loop. However, I get answer B because force points to right...

Physics news on Phys.org
With the current running toward the top of the diagram, which way do its magnetic field lines intersect the sides of the rectangular loop? We know the magnetic field is stronger on the side of the loop closer to the wire, BUT which way does the magnetic force act on the current in each of the four sides of the loop? The important question is: do these forces on the sides of the loop act in a way that will turn the loop out of the plane it is presently lying in?

dynamicsolo said:
With the current running toward the top of the diagram, which way do its magnetic field lines intersect the sides of the rectangular loop? We know the magnetic field is stronger on the side of the loop closer to the wire, BUT which way does the magnetic force act on the current in each of the four sides of the loop? The important question is: do these forces on the sides of the loop act in a way that will turn the loop out of the plane it is presently lying in?

do these forces on the sides of the loop act in a way that will turn the loop out of the plane it is presently lying in?

i thought the force on left edge is stronger because it is closer so it would rotate clockwise?

syhpui2 said:
i thought the force on left edge is stronger because it is closer so it would rotate clockwise?

To decide whether any rotation will occur, you need to figure out the direction of the forces acting on all four sides. The strength of the forces alone don't decide that question.

dynamicsolo said:
To decide whether any rotation will occur, you need to figure out the direction of the forces acting on all four sides. The strength of the forces alone don't decide that question.

Okay. That makes sense.
Thanks

1. What is a current loop rotate question?

A current loop rotate question is a type of scientific inquiry that involves measuring and analyzing the rotation of a current loop in a magnetic field. It is commonly used in experiments to study the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

2. How is a current loop rotate question useful?

A current loop rotate question can help scientists understand the principles of electromagnetism and the behavior of electric currents in the presence of a magnetic field. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and technology.

3. What are the components of a current loop rotate experiment?

A current loop rotate experiment typically involves a current-carrying loop, a magnetic field source, and measurement tools such as a galvanometer or voltmeter. The loop is rotated in the magnetic field and the resulting changes in current or voltage are measured.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of a current loop rotate experiment?

The outcome of a current loop rotate experiment can be affected by factors such as the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the shape and size of the current loop, and the properties of the materials used in the experiment. Other external factors, such as interference from other electromagnetic sources, can also impact the results.

5. How is a current loop rotate question related to other scientific concepts?

Current loop rotate questions are closely related to other concepts in physics, such as electromagnetism, electric currents, and magnetic fields. They also have connections to other fields of study, such as engineering, technology, and materials science.