Force and Torque of a Clockwise Current Loop in Magnetic Field

In summary, a rectangular loop carrying a clockwise current in a constant magnetic field experiences a force and torque on each of its four straight line segments. The force is perpendicular to the loop and its magnitude is given by 2iaB, where "i" is the current, "a" is the length of the horizontal segments, and "B" is the magnetic field. The torque points downward in the negative z direction and its magnitude is given by iabB. A diagram can be used to illustrate this device and its answers.
stunner5000pt
A rectangularl oop carring a clockwise current i is placed in a constant magnetic field B = By. The four corners of the loop are at (x=0, y = +/- a/2, z=+/-b/2 where a and b are positve onstants
find the force and torque, magnitude and direction on each of the four straight lin segments of the loop. Illustrate this device and your answers using a diagram.
force only acts on the vertical (according to the diagram) and points out from the page for y = a/2. For y = -a/2, the force points into th page.
for its magnitude
F = 2 i a B / 2 = i a B Since theta is 90 degrees. B is constant.
the torque points downward in the negative z direction
t=2 (b x F)/2 = b x F = iabB
am i right?

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
You mixed up your a's and b's in calculating the force. (The length of the vertical segments is "b", not "a".) Other than that, it looks OK.

What is force on a clockwise current loop in a magnetic field?

The force on a clockwise current loop in a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. The force will be in the direction perpendicular to both the current flow and the magnetic field.

How does the torque on a clockwise current loop change with the strength of the magnetic field?

The torque on a clockwise current loop is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. As the magnetic field increases, the torque on the loop will also increase.

What is the direction of the torque on a clockwise current loop in a magnetic field?

The direction of the torque on a clockwise current loop in a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. The direction of the torque will be perpendicular to both the current flow and the magnetic field.

What happens to the force on a clockwise current loop if the current direction is reversed?

If the current direction in a clockwise current loop is reversed, the direction of the force will also be reversed. This is because the direction of the force is determined by the right-hand rule, which changes when the current direction is reversed.

How can the force and torque on a clockwise current loop be increased?

The force and torque on a clockwise current loop can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field or by increasing the current flow through the loop. Additionally, increasing the size of the loop or the number of loops can also increase the force and torque.