What is the Purpose of Current in a Transformer?

In summary, a transformer has a maximum current rating that is related to magnetic saturation of the core and heating from various losses.
Guidestone
Ok guys so I have to purchase two transformers with certain voltage value and current. I think I know what voltage in a transformer means when it comes to look for one, it's only the input and the output voltage, please correct me if I'm wrong. But I can't understand the current value, is it used to specify the maximum current the coils can hold or something? Is it some kind of saturation? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
They give you the maximum current you can draw from secondary winding for resistive load.

Guidestone said:
... the current value, is it used to specify the maximum current the coils can hold or something? Is it some kind of saturation? Thanks!
I think the current rating is based on resistive losses in the windings creating heat. So if the current were varying (not just AC, but varying amplitude AC) it would be the maximum RMS value of the current over a few seconds and longer.
So if a transformer were rated at 4A continuous, ideally you could run it at 3A with peaks of 5A, provided the peaks were no more than about 43% of the time, then the heat generated would be the same. But as the temperature would be fluctuating, you would need to derate it a little, because you want to keep the peak temperature below a maximum value, not the average temperature below the maximum. This is a more complex calculation, which I have not done, so I can't give you the exact duty cycle

When you use phrases like "maximum current the coils can hold or something" I can only thing you have never read a basic electronics text, much less spent time trying to understand how a transformer works.

The maximum current rating is related to magnetic saturation of the core and heating from various losses. And. please do not ask what those losses are without trying to research it yourself.

meBigGuy said:
When you use phrases like "maximum current the coils can hold or something" I can only thing you have never read a basic electronics text, much less spent time trying to understand how a transformer works.

The maximum current rating is related to magnetic saturation of the core and heating from various losses. And. please do not ask what those losses are without trying to research it yourself.

You're right I'll do some research on it.

Hey, we all need to learn. I got schooled for saying " The maximum current rating is related to magnetic saturation of the core" (turns out it isn't) in this very thread. Feel free to ask questions when you get stumped.

1. What is the current of a transformer?

The current of a transformer refers to the flow of electric current through the primary and secondary coils of the transformer. It is measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on the voltage and load connected to the transformer.

2. How is the current of a transformer calculated?

The current of a transformer can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In a transformer, the voltage and resistance are inversely proportional, so as the voltage increases, the current decreases and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the current of a transformer?

The current of a transformer is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, the voltage and frequency of the power source, and the load connected to the transformer.

4. How does the current change in a step-up transformer?

In a step-up transformer, the current decreases on the secondary side while the voltage increases. This is because the number of turns in the secondary coil is greater than the primary coil, resulting in a higher voltage and lower current.

5. What is the effect of current on a transformer?

The current in a transformer can cause heat to be generated, which can lead to energy losses and decrease the efficiency of the transformer. It is important to carefully consider the current and load connected to a transformer to ensure it operates safely and efficiently.