1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current of Sliding Rod

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the U-shaped conductor in the figure has resistivity ρ (in Ω.m), whereas that of the moving rod is negligible, find the current I at time t. Assume the rod has length L, starts at the bottom of the U at t = 0, and moves with uniform speed v in the constant magnetic field B shown in the figure. The cross-sectional area of the rod and all parts of the U is A (in m2). Express your answer in terms of the given quantities.

2. Relevant equations

I = magnetic flux / Resistance

Resistance = p*L/A where p is the resistivity

3. The attempt at a solution

I = B*A*v/p*(L/A)

The current is equal to the magnetic field times the Area times the velocity, divided by Resistance (which is the resistivity times the Length times the Area)

What am I missing here because that formula that I calculated is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2
    instead of going for that formula, go for the basic definition if induced EMF. As the rod moves with a velocity v, what is the emf induced on it?

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    Emf would be : B*A*v

So then where does the resistivity come in?

5. May 16, 2015 #4
    no. emf is not BAv. Its Blv where l is the length of the rod. think about it. try to derive it.

6. May 16, 2015 #5
    I'm taking an algebra based physics course so I'm not too comfortable with deriving but looking at an example of the derived form:

so after deriving the Emf equation, Emf = B L v and I would them be B L^2 v / p L/A ?

7. May 16, 2015 #6
    HW17_3.jpg

Here is the picture for the problem, sorry forgot to post it

8. May 16, 2015 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did L become L2.

Also, note that the resistance is in the U-shaped conductor. So, when using R = pL/A you need to consider the length of the U-shaped portion of the circuit. So, the L here is not the same as the L for the length of the moving rod. The length of the U-shaped portion will depend on the time t.

9. May 16, 2015 #8
    I'm confused with what you would do with the time t. If the length changes based on t then can I just multiply the length by t?

10. May 16, 2015 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the figure below, let x be the distance the rod has traveled. Can you express the length of the U-shaped portion of the circuit in terms of x and L? Then you can express x in terms of t.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted