RL Circuit Current: Over Time, Initial I(0)=1

In summary, an RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor and an inductor, used to control the flow of current. The current in an RL circuit changes over time due to the inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field, causing it to decrease and increase. "Initial I(0)=1" in an RL circuit means that the initial current is equal to 1 ampere, describing the initial conditions of the circuit. The value of the inductor affects the current by determining how quickly it changes, with a larger inductance value resulting in slower changes. The time constant of an RL circuit is a measure of how quickly the current reaches a steady state, calculated by dividing the inductance
Boba Fet
An RL circuit has L=5, R = 200, Vin =100t. Suppose the initial current through the circuit is I(0)=1.

a) find the current through the inductor. b) sketch it. Find the voltage through the Inductor. c) Sketch it

I feel like it know how to do this but I am getting a linear function which doesn't seem right to me

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of function are you expecting and why? (Please show your working.)
Have you checked LR circuits coursework, notes, or theory anywhere?
ie - do you know the differential equation the circuit is supposed to satisfy?

Last edited:

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor and an inductor. It is used to control the flow of current in a circuit.

2. How does the current change over time in an RL circuit?

The current in an RL circuit changes over time due to the inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. As the magnetic field builds up, it opposes the flow of current, causing it to decrease. As the magnetic field collapses, it allows the current to flow again, causing it to increase.

3. What does "Initial I(0)=1" mean in an RL circuit?

This means that at the beginning of the circuit's operation, the initial current is equal to 1 ampere. It is used to describe the initial conditions of the circuit and is necessary for solving mathematical equations related to the circuit's behavior.

4. How does the value of the inductor affect the current in an RL circuit?

The value of the inductor affects the current in an RL circuit by determining how quickly the current changes over time. A larger inductance value means that the current will change more slowly, while a smaller inductance value means that the current will change more quickly.

5. What is the time constant of an RL circuit?

The time constant of an RL circuit is a measure of how quickly the current in the circuit reaches a steady state. It is calculated by dividing the inductance value by the resistance value. A smaller time constant means that the current will reach a steady state more quickly, while a larger time constant means that it will take longer to reach a steady state.