1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current Problem

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The currents are flowing in the direction indicated by the arrows. A negative current denotes flow opposite to the direction of the arrow. Assume the batteries have zero internal resistance.

A) Find the current through the 14.4Ω resistor and the 8.6 V battery at the top of the circuit. Answer in units of A.
    B) Find the current through the 23.2 Ω resistor in the center of the circuit. Answer in units of A.

2. Relevant equations
    Kirchhoff's Junction and Loop Rules

3. The attempt at a solution

By applying the Kirchhoff's voltage law to the above loop I get
    8.6V - (23.2Ω)I1 - (14.4Ω)I = 0

23.2I1 + 14.4I = 8.6 ..............................(1)

Applying the Kirchhoff's voltage law to the down loop I get

16.4V + (23.2Ω)I1 = 0

I1 = - 0.71A

Substitute this value in the eq(1)

8.6V + (23.2)(0.71) = 14.4I

I = 1.74A

Therefore the current passes through the battery 8.6V and the resistance 14.4Ω is 1.74A

For Part B, I thought that the current would be equal to I1 which I already solved for in Part A, so the current would be -0.71 A.

I've pretty much worked everything out but I was hoping if someone could tell me if I was doing it right or not. I'm not too confident when it comes to these problems. Any comments would be very helpful. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everything looks good, except for the picture, where all the currents are labeled by the same label (I). The answers are both correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?