Solving Current Regulation on Motor-Driven Wagon

In summary, the conversation discusses using current regulation instead of a closed loop servo for a motor driven wagon on a track. The person is struggling with solving the 2nd order differential equation for Newton's law and obtaining a transfer function. They realize they can solve the equation algebraically and not just numerically, but are unsure about the constant and initial conditions. They also consider the possibility of the equation being third order.
ponjavic
Hi, I'm trying to do current regulation on a motor driven wagon running on a track.
Instead of having a closed loop servo where the feedback is the speed or position the regulation is to use current. I'm struggling a bit with the theory.

This is what I'm used to doing:
http://www.engin.umich.edu/group/ctm/examples/motor/motor.html
Look at 1. Transfer function.
Now, Newton's law in this system is a 2nd order differential equation which can be solved.
I thought that I need a transfer function I/V which I was able to obtain:
Code:
I(s)                Js + b
-----  = -----------------------
  V        (Js+b)(Ls+R)+K^2
Ok so I have the transfer function, which is good. My problem however is that I have no idea of how to solve this equation it looks like it is third order? I might be incorrect.
Sure this could be done numerically but I would prefer an algebraic way as I need to determine the time constant!

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Edit:
wow that was stupid... just elminate (Js+b)/(Js+b) and then it can be solved...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ugh, now I can't edit it obviously my edit was wrong so the question still stands. Is this a third order differential equation? And if so how can I solve it.

Not too sure about this but it looks like I should get:

I(JLs^2+bLs+JRs+bR+k^2)=V(Js+b)

which reduces to:
JLi''+(bL+JR)i'+bR+K^2-b=VJs

integrating:
JLi'+(bL+JR)i +integral((bR+K^2-b)dt)=VJ+constant

Now... what is the constant?
This is a system where the wagon is suddenly given power so at t = 0, i = 0 but what's i'(0)?

Last edited:

I understand your struggle with the theory behind using current regulation on a motor-driven wagon. It seems like you have a good understanding of the transfer function and how it relates to Newton's law in this system. However, you are unsure of how to solve the resulting equation, which appears to be third order.

One approach you could take is to use Laplace transforms to simplify the equation and then solve it algebraically. This would involve transforming the equation into the s-domain and using algebraic techniques to solve for the unknowns. Alternatively, you could use numerical methods to solve the equation, as you mentioned.

Another suggestion would be to consult with a colleague or expert in the field who may have experience with similar systems. They may be able to offer insights or suggestions on how to solve the equation or provide additional resources for you to consult.

Overall, it is important to continue to explore and seek out solutions to this problem. As a scientist, it is through experimentation and problem-solving that we make progress and advance our understanding of the world around us. Good luck with your research!

What is the purpose of regulating current on a motor-driven wagon?

The purpose of regulating current on a motor-driven wagon is to ensure that the motor receives a consistent and appropriate level of electrical current, which is necessary for the proper functioning of the wagon. This helps to prevent damage to the motor and ensures the wagon can operate safely and efficiently.

How does current regulation work on a motor-driven wagon?

Current regulation on a motor-driven wagon is typically achieved through the use of electronic components such as regulators or controllers. These components monitor the electrical current flowing into the motor and adjust it as needed to maintain a steady level of current.

What are the potential consequences of not regulating current on a motor-driven wagon?

Without proper current regulation, the motor on a wagon can receive too much or too little electrical current. This can lead to overheating, which can damage the motor and potentially cause it to malfunction or fail. It can also create safety hazards for those operating or riding in the wagon.

What factors can affect the current regulation on a motor-driven wagon?

Several factors can affect the current regulation on a motor-driven wagon, including the load on the motor, changes in voltage, and fluctuations in the supply of electricity. The design and quality of the electronic components used for current regulation can also play a role.

How can current regulation on a motor-driven wagon be improved?

To improve current regulation on a motor-driven wagon, it is important to use high-quality electronic components and regularly maintain and calibrate them. It may also be beneficial to implement monitoring systems that can detect and adjust for changes in current or voltage, ensuring the motor receives a consistent and appropriate level of electricity.