1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current resistor and time

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a current of 5 ampere exists in a 10 ohm resistor for 4 minutes

a) how many coulombs pass through the resistor in this time? should be 1200 coulombs
    b) how many electrons pass through the resistor in this time? should be 7.5*10^21
    c) what potential drop exists across the resistor? should be 50 volts
    d) how much energy is dissipated in the resistor during this time? should be 60000joules

2. Relevant equations

resistance R = V/I where V is electric potential, I is current

capacitance C = Q/V where Q is charge ---> not sure about this one

current I = nAqv_d where n is number of electrons, A is area, q is charge, v_d is drift velocity

power P = IV where I is current, V is electric potential.

work W = 1/2(CV^2) where C is capacitance

3. The attempt at a solution

somewhat started part a:

use first eq to solve for electric potential V --> V = IR = 5(10) = 50 volts

tried using second eq, C = Q/V but did not have capacitance, i don't even think you can use capacitance in this problem

i need help with an equation containing time, because t = 4mins = 240seconds. other wise i could use the fourth eq, and let P = W/t where W is work, t is time and solve for t. the work work formula requires capacitance, which i don't have

as for part b and finding the number of elections i think i use the third eq, hold A as constant but how do i figure out the drift velocity v_d, or do i hold that constant too?

i haven't tried the other parts yet, looking for some insight...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Scholio,

You're right that you cannot use C=Q/V here. Instead, since you know the current, what is the definition of current?

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    current I is the change in Q over the change in time --> I = dQ/dt

oh i figured it out, i didn't even think of that relationship:

since V = IR = 50 volts

V = (dQ/dt)R
    50 = (dQ/240)10
    dQ = 12000/10
    Q = 1200 coulombs

that was straightforward, thanks!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  5. Jun 11, 2008 #4
    For the number of electrons per coulumb... h t t p : / / en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current

That should help.

6. Jun 11, 2008 #5

alphysicist

Homework Helper

scholio,
    That's right. Another way to think about it, is that a current of 5A means 5 coulombs per second. Since you know how many seconds the current is running and it's constant, you can just multiply current times time to get coulombs.

7. Jun 11, 2008 #6
    The way I did part A which works without needing the voltage is...

I = Q/t...
    Q = I*t
    = 5A * 4min*(60s/1min)
    = 1200 Coul

8. Jun 11, 2008 #7
    thanks, i got part a now.

how would i got about handling part b using I = nAqv_d, do i hold A area, and drift velocity v_d constant? the q in this equation is not the 1200 i found in part a is it?

anyways i tried it and it didn't work out: i took A and v_d constant

5 = n(1200)
    n = 4.16*10^-3 ---> not right, need 7.5*10^21 electrons

9. Jun 11, 2008 #8

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I don't think you need to use that equation. What's the charge on an electron? Be sure to include the units.

(You can argue that A and v_d are constant, but they still have to be in the equation!)

Edit: Also, the n in that equation is not the number, it is the number density (particles / volume).

10. Jun 11, 2008 #9
    oh okay, the charge of an electron is 1.6*10^-19 coulombs, is that what i substitute in for q in the equation?

there is another equation involving n, q and v_d. its for current density J.

J = nqv_d where J = sigma(E) where E is electric field, and sigma is conductivity. the material is not specified though.

electric field E = F/q where F is force and q is charge

is this along the right lines now?

11. Jun 11, 2008 #10

alphysicist

Homework Helper

No, it's more like changing units. There is one electron in [itex]1.6\times 10^{-19}[/itex] coulombs. How many electrons are in 1200 coulombs?

12. Jun 11, 2008 #11
    oh, again i overanalyzed the problem. 1200coulombs/(1.6*10^-19 coulombs) = 7.5*10^21 electrons

thanks again

as for part c, finding the potential drop that exists along the resistor, did i already solve for that in part a? am i correct to say that the V in V = IR is potential difference?

then isn't V = 50 volts then?

13. Jun 11, 2008 #12

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That's right. Did you get part d?

14. Jun 11, 2008 #13
    no not yet, still need to finish up part c, any tips before i start part d?

15. Jun 11, 2008 #14

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I'll let you work on it first. You have everything you need (just don't use the equations with capacitance).

16. Jun 11, 2008 #15
    i got part c and d.

part c:
    what potential drop exists across the resistor?

QV/t = I^2R where Q is 1200 coulombs, I is 5 amp, R is 10 ohms, t = 240 sec
    V = I^2RT/Q = 50 votls

part d:
    how much energy is dissipated in the resistor during this time?

energy lost/t = I^2R where t = 240 sec, I = 5amp, R = 10 ohms

energy lost = I^2Rt = 60000 joules

did i do it correctly? i got the answers i was looking for.

17. Jun 11, 2008 #16

alphysicist

Homework Helper

It looks right, but I don't think you need to do quite all that. Your original approach V=IR in the first post is exactly what's needed.

(In the equation you have above, notice that Q/t =I, when the current is constant, so:

QV/t = I^2R ----> I V = I^2 R ------> V = I R

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?