Current source

hello.. this is my first post..forgive me if my question is wrong.. Why does a current source is modeled in such a way that it has its internal resistance in parallel ? Why cant it have its internal resistance in series ? The question may seem awkward , but please answer me.. thanks in advance..

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
This may not be intuitive but Thevenin and Norton theorems tell you that any network of emf / current sources and resistances can be characterised by either an emf in series with or a current source in parallel with an appropriate resistance. That is not to say that it would be the best way to produce either, in practice! You could be making a lot of smoke if you chose the inappropriate one to use.

A current source is defined as, well, a source of current that has zero ohms source resistance. Electrically, this current source, when it is paralleled with a resistor, behaves identically to a voltage source that is in series with that same resistor. The amount of equivalent voltage is the product of the current (source) times the paralleled resistor.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Not a correct definition for an Ideal Source. An ideal current source has infinite resistance - in the same way that an ideal voltage source has zero resistance.

A real current source will have some Conductance (i.e. not infinite resistance) so it can actually be replaced by a suitable combination of ideal voltage or current source with a resistor.

A current source will provide just enough volts to drive the required current into the load and a voltage source will provide just enough current to develop the required voltage across the load. In practical terms this means that a current source (Anode, for instance) looks like a high resistance whilst a voltage source (Transistor emitter, for instance) looks like a low resistance.