Distance to See One Star: Current Tech & Laws

In summary, the farthest distance at which we can currently see a star is around 10-30 billion light-years, depending on measurements and calculations. However, the question of how far we can theoretically see a star is limited by the first stars that existed, which have yet to be found. Our current technology and observational methods can also limit our ability to see distant stars. Additionally, the expansion of the universe can affect the distance of a star from our perspective, allowing us to see stars that are much farther away than their original distance at the time of their light emission.
BosonJaw
Given current technology, and applicable laws, what is the greatest distance at which we can see 1 star?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Depends how bright it is.

:redface: How about taking for instance the hottest/brightest stable star? is there a formula? Or one which must be adhered to in order to observe it correctly?

Last edited:
The deep field images of Hubble are about 5 bn light years. According to the BB, we can not see anything further than 13.7 light years.

pixel01 said:
The deep field images of Hubble are about 5 bn light years. According to the BB, we can not see anything further than 13.7 light years.
Unless I'm way off, wouldn't it be 13.7 billion light years? That is to say, the age of the universe in light years?

SticksandStones said:
Unless I'm way off, wouldn't it be 13.7 billion light years? That is to say, the age of the universe in light years?

You're forgetting about the expansion of the Universe. We can see much farther than 13.7 billion light-years.

Edit to clarify: We can theoretically see much farther than 13.7 billion light-years. Our technology and observational methods can limit us.

Last edited:
Laura1013 said:
You're forgetting about the expansion of the Universe. We can see much farther than 13.7 billion light-years.

Edit to clarify: We can theoretically see much farther than 13.7 billion light-years. Our technology and observational methods can limit us.

I don't understand. If the age of the universe is 13.7 billion years, and light in a vacuum has the highest attainable velocity, then how can we see further than even light could have traveled?

SticksandStones said:
I don't understand. If the age of the universe is 13.7 billion years, and light in a vacuum has the highest attainable velocity, then how can we see further than even light could have traveled?

I don't fully understand either, to be honest. It's really easy to get confused about this. There's a lot of misinformation out there. Most introductory sources take the Universe as being flat and non-accelerating for simplicity, and use the very basic equation time x velocity = distance. So, thinking about a flat, stationary Universe that is 13.7 years old, then yes, the farthest we can theoretically see would be 13.7 years times the speed of light, or 13.7 light-years.

This previous thread may help: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=183924 .

But the original question asked how far away could we see a star. We can only theoretically see a star as far back as the first star that existed. That would be the theorized Population III stars, which have yet to be conclusively found.

The original question specifically asked about how far we could see with our current technology. I don't really know the answer to that question. I can say that the highest star-related redshift (not CMB) we've measured is around z = 7 to 10, which leads to distances of around 10 to 30 billion light-years, depending on which measurement you trust and which Hubble constant you use.

Last edited:
The question sounds to me like it is asking how far away we can discern individual stars. That would probably be limited to our neares neighbors in our local group of galaxies - 10 million light years or so. Just a guess though.

SticksandStones said:
When the light left that star, it was much closer than 13.7Gly. Space ahas expanded in that time. The star can be much farther away frim us now and yet its light (from 10Gy ago) did not have to cross all that distance.

russ_watters said:
The question sounds to me like it is asking how far away we can discern individual stars. That would probably be limited to our neares neighbors in our local group of galaxies - 10 million light years or so. Just a guess though.
Here is a supernova visible even in a small scope - that's 5 billion light years away.

I would think this would exclude supernovas, but yeah, there is no practical limit to how far away you can see them - they often outshine their host galaxies.

1. How far away can we currently see a single star with our technology?

As of now, the farthest star that can be seen with the naked eye is about 4,000 light years away. However, with the help of telescopes and other advanced technology, we are able to see stars that are billions of light years away.

2. What is the current technology used to measure the distance to a star?

The most commonly used technology to measure the distance to a star is called parallax. This method involves measuring the apparent shift of a star's position in the sky as the Earth orbits around the Sun.

3. Are there any laws that restrict the distance at which we can see a star?

No, there are no laws that restrict the distance at which we can see a star. However, there may be laws or regulations in place that limit the use of certain technology for observing stars, such as restrictions on light pollution in certain areas.

4. How accurate are our current measurements of the distance to stars?

Our current measurements of the distance to stars can vary in accuracy depending on the method used. The parallax method, for example, can have an accuracy of up to 0.001% for nearby stars, while other methods may have a larger margin of error.

5. Is there a limit to how far we can see a single star?

There is currently no known limit to how far we can see a single star. With advancements in technology, we are constantly able to see and study stars at greater and greater distances. However, there may be limitations based on the capabilities of our current technology.