Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current term maxwell equations

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    yo

ok progress on the electromagnetic wave front is progressing nicely....finally, but

i have stumbled on a area that i need some help with. see below

when maxwell took amperes law, he added whats known locally ! as the current term, this was done because he realised that a changing magnetic field gives rise to an electric field.

Q how does this current term suggest that light must be an electromagnetic wave ?

if any one has any consise explainations i would appreciate it, i dont need the maths as i have them in front of me. just think of it as a table quiz kind of answer !!

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2
    Light is just EM wave in much higher frequency spectrum. It is a frequency thing. I am not good enough to explain in plain English, from my understanding:

[tex]\nabla \times \vec H= \vec J +\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial \vec E}{\partial t}\;\Rightarrow \int_c \vec H\cdot d\vec l = I_ C+I_D\;\;\hbox { where it is conduction current and displacement current respectively.}[/tex]

This just said a varying conduction and/or displacement current will produce a varying magnetic field. Which in turn the varying magnetic field will be accompanied with a varying electric field by:

[tex]\nabla \times \vec E =-\frac {\partial \vec B}{\partial t}[/tex]

But nothing is said about the frequency. As said, light is just the upper range of the EM wave frequency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook