1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current through and inductor

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find inductor current for t > 0
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5814/unledgo.png [Broken]

Switch is initially open and closes at t=0+

The professor wants us to solve these only using the Diff Eq approach. On other questions I would just do a KVL with the inductor loop and solves the resultant ODE. However with this one I would have to do a system of equations. I'm not to sure if thats what I'm supposed to do or even how to do that math.

I also tried taking the inductor out and doing a thevenin equivalent. I get the correct time constant this way but the constants of integration are way off.

I really just dont know how to approach this problem.

fyi I'm told the answer is 6 - e^(-t/6) A,

whoops sorry for the typo in title, been a tiring day.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    Well since i drew up that schematic to post here I figured I'd run the simulation as well. So I havent found my error yet but it looks like doing a thevenin equivalent should yield me the correct answer.

Is this the best way to approach this problem though? I still feel like I'm missing some key idea here and my book is absolutely terrible at everything but pretty pictures.

EDIT:
    Figured out the problem

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook