How Do You Calculate Current Through Each Resistor in Complex Circuits?

You can calculate it directly from Ohm's law, knowing the emf of the battery and the equivalent resistance of the circuit. Once you have that, you can use the rules for series and parallel resistors to calculate the current through each individual resistor.In summary, the circuit shown in the figure has four resistors with values R1 = 12 \Omega, R2 = 6.4 \Omega, R3 = 7.0 \Omega, and R4 = 13 \Omega, and an emf of \epsilon = 18V. To find the current through each resistor, the equivalent resistance of the network consisting of R2, R3, and R4 is calculated (5.14 \
Xels

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit shown in the figure . Suppose the four resistors in this circuit have the values R1 = 12 [tex]\Omega[/tex], R2 = 6.4 [tex]\Omega[/tex], R3 = 7.0 [tex]\Omega[/tex], and R4 = 13 [tex]\Omega[/tex], and that the emf of the battery is [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 18V .

A. Find the current through each resistor using the rules for series and parallel resistors.
B. Find the current through each resistor using Kirchhoff's rules.

5385574045_109bd0be85.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58789079@N08/5385574045/ by Tetzsc, on Flickr

Homework Equations

V=IR
Req= 1/R1+1/Rn
Req= R1+Rn

The Attempt at a Solution

First I identify R2 & R4 as series circuits in parallel with R3 and solve for the total resistance across these lines giving me 5.14[tex]\Omega[/tex]
I know that I1-I2-I3-I4 = 0 and that current will take the path of least resistance.
This is where I'm stuck. I know that the current leaving the R2+R4 & R3 will recombine through R1, but I'm really not sure how to find each individual current.

Rp=5.14[tex]\Omega[/tex]
Rt=17.14[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've calculated the equivalent resistance for the network consisting of R2, R3, and R4. You've also recognized that it's in series with R1. So what's the current that the battery will be providing?

1. What is current through resistors?

Current through resistors refers to the flow of electric charge through a resistor, which is a component in an electric circuit that resists the flow of electric current. It is measured in units of amperes (A).

2. How is current through resistors affected by resistance?

The current through a resistor is inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance.

3. What factors can affect the current through resistors?

The current through resistors can be affected by several factors, including the voltage applied, the resistance of the resistor, and the temperature of the resistor. Additionally, the type of material the resistor is made of can also impact the current.

4. How is current through resistors different in series and parallel circuits?

In series circuits, the current through each resistor is the same, as there is only one path for the current to flow. In parallel circuits, the current is divided among multiple paths, so the current through each resistor will vary depending on its resistance.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding current through resistors?

Understanding current through resistors is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits and devices. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, power distribution, and electronics manufacturing. Additionally, knowledge of current through resistors is important in fields such as renewable energy and electric vehicle technology.