Current through ring in solenoid-ring system

In summary: Additionally, it would be helpful to provide a brief conclusion or summary of your findings at the end. I would recommend revising your solution to incorporate these suggestions before submitting your final solution.
lorenz0
Homework Statement
A superconducting solenoid of length ##l##, which we can nonetheless asumme as of infinite length has radius ##r_1,\ n\ \text{turns}/m## and is coaxial with a metallic ring of radius ##r_2<r_1##, of trascurable self-inductance and resistance ##R##. The current through the solenoid and the ring at ##t=0s## is, respectively, ##i_{01}=0\ A## and ##i_{02}>0## in the direction shown in the figure.
Find:

(a) Inductance of the solenoid and the coefficient of mutual inductance between the solenoid and the ring;

(b) The electric current going around the ring at ##t_0>0##;

(c) The total magnetic field at the center of the ring at time ##t_0##;

(d) The magnetic energy of the solenoid at time ##t_0##:

(e) The electric charge which has gone around the ring between times ##t=0## and ##t_0##.
Relevant Equations
##\phi=LI;\ \mathcal{E}_2=-\frac{d\phi_2}{dt}=-M\frac{dI_1}{dt}; M_{21}=M_{12}.##
The following is my solution to this problem; I would appreciate some feedback, especially on part (b), which I have found the most challenging. Thanks.

(a) Using Ampere's Law I get ##B=\mu_0 n i_1## where ##i_1## is the current through the solenoid, and since ##\phi=Li_1##, where ##L## is the self-inductance, it follows that ##L=\pi r_1^2 n^2 \mu_0 l##.
For the mutual inductance, since ##M_{12}=M_{21}=M## we can consider the situation where the current ##i## is flowing through the solenoid giving a magnetic flux through the ring ##\phi=B_1 \pi r_2^2=\mu_0 ni\pi r_2^2=M i## so ##M=\mu_0n\pi r_2^2##.

(b) From Faraday's Law we have that ##\mathcal{E}_1=-M\frac{di_2}{dt}-L\frac{di_1}{dt}## (1) and ##\mathcal{E}_2=-M\frac{di_1}{dt}## (2). From (1) we get ##i_1 R_{sol}=M\frac{di_2}{dt}-L\frac{di_1}{dt}## which implies (since ##R_{sol}=0##, the solenoid being superconducting) ##0=M\frac{di_2}{dt}-L\frac{di_1}{dt}## so ##\frac{di_1}{dt}=-\frac{M}{L}\frac{di_2}{dt}## which, substituted in (2) gives: ##\mathcal{E}_2=-M\left( -\frac{M}{L}\frac{di_2}{dt} \right) \Rightarrow i_2 R=\frac{M^2}{L}\frac{di_2}{dt}\Rightarrow \frac{LR}{M^2}dt=\frac{di_2}{i_2}\Rightarrow \int_{t=0}^{t=t_0}\frac{LR}{M^2}d\bar{t}=\int_{i_2(0)}^{i_2(t_0)}\frac{d\bar{i_2}}{\bar{i_2}}\Rightarrow i_2(t_0)=i_2(0)e^{\frac{LR}{M^2}t_0}##

(c) ##\vec{B}=\left(\frac{\mu_0 i_2(t_0)}{2r_2} + \mu_0 ni_1(t_0)\right)\hat{k}## where the first term is the magnetic field at the center of the ring due to the current through the ring which I got using Biot-Savart's law; also, we can get ##i_1(t_0)## from (b)(1) since ##\frac{di_1}{dt}=-\frac{M}{L}\frac{di_2}{dt}=-\frac{M}{L}i_2(0)\frac{LR}{M^2}e^{\frac{LR}{M^2}t}=-\frac{i_2(0)R}{M}e^{\frac{LR}{M^2}t}\Rightarrow i_1(t_0)=-\frac{i_2(0)M}{L}e^{\frac{LR}{M^2}t_0}##

(d) ##U(t_0)=\frac{1}{2}Li_1^2(t_0)##

(e) ##q_2(t_0)=\int_{0}^{t_0}i_2(t) dt##

Attachments

• solenoid.png
    solenoid.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org

Overall, your solution seems to be correct and well-thought-out. Here are a few suggestions for improvement:

(a) You could provide a bit more explanation for the steps you took to arrive at the final expressions for L and M. This will make it easier for readers to follow your thought process and understand the equations.

(b) Your solution for part (b) is correct, but it would be helpful to provide a bit more explanation for the steps you took. For example, you could explain why you set the solenoid resistance to zero, and why you substituted your expression for di1/dt into equation (2). This will make it easier for readers to understand your reasoning and follow the calculations.

(c) In part (c), it would be helpful to provide a brief explanation of how you used Biot-Savart's law to calculate the magnetic field at the center of the ring. This will make it easier for readers to understand your approach and the final expression for B.

(d) Your solution for part (d) is correct, but it would be helpful to provide a bit more explanation for the steps you took. For example, you could explain why you used the expression for i1(t0) from part (b) to calculate the energy.

(e) Similarly, in part (e), you could provide a brief explanation of why you integrated the expression for i2(t) over time to calculate the charge on the ring.

In summary, your solution is correct and well-written, but providing a bit more explanation and context for your calculations will make it easier for readers to understand your approach and follow your calculations.

1. What is a solenoid-ring system?

A solenoid-ring system is a setup where a ring-shaped conductor is placed inside a solenoid, which is a coil of wire with current flowing through it. The solenoid produces a magnetic field, which induces a current in the ring.

2. How does current flow through a ring in a solenoid-ring system?

The current in the solenoid creates a magnetic field, which passes through the ring and induces an electric current in the ring. This current flows in a circular path around the ring, perpendicular to the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the amount of current induced in the ring?

The amount of current induced in the ring depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the solenoid, the radius and material of the ring, and the speed at which the magnetic field changes.

4. How is the direction of the induced current determined in a solenoid-ring system?

The direction of the induced current is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it. In a solenoid-ring system, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction of the current in the solenoid.

5. What are the practical applications of a solenoid-ring system?

Solenoid-ring systems are used in many devices, such as transformers, generators, and motors. They are also used in scientific experiments to study electromagnetic induction and inductance. Additionally, they have applications in medical imaging technology, such as MRI machines.