Current to heat relation for a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the current carrying capacity of a 100 micrometer wire with a radius of 1 micrometer. The person has tried using the Stefan-Boltzmann law and specific heat capacity but has not accounted for heat loss to the surroundings and heat sinks. They mention the connection to filaments in lightbulbs but have not found relevant information. They ask for help and are questioned about the reason for calculating this rather than referring to gage tables. The person clarifies that their purpose is to determine when the wire will melt at different currents and asks for guidance on using resistivity and voltage current relation.
danesh
Hey,

I am currently trying to calculate how much current a "wire" of very small dimensions can take. This "wire" is of dimensions of 100 micrometer and radius of about 1 micrometer.
I have tried to use the Stefan-Boltzmann law or use the specific heat capacity, but in there I do not include any lost of heat to the ambient surroundings and to the heat sinks at each end. The results I get are not that good and I feel I have come to a dead end.
I see the connection to filaments in lightbulbs but I haven't been able to find anything in that area.

Anyone who can helps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any reason that you are trying to calculate this, rather then simply referring to the gage tables to determine the current carrying capacity of the wire?

Sorry for the late reply, no internet connection during weekend.
Well my purpose is to try to calculate when dos the wire melt at different currents.
Do you mean using resistivity to calculate the voltage current relation or is there other information I should look for in the gage tables?

1. What is the current to heat relation for a wire?

The current to heat relation for a wire is the relationship between the amount of electrical current flowing through a wire and the amount of heat that is generated as a result. This relationship is governed by Ohm's law, which states that the amount of heat produced in a wire is directly proportional to the square of the current flowing through it.

2. How does the thickness of a wire affect the current to heat relation?

The thickness of a wire, also known as its gauge, plays a significant role in the current to heat relation. Thicker wires have a lower resistance, which means that they can handle higher currents without generating excessive amounts of heat. On the other hand, thinner wires have a higher resistance and can only handle lower currents before generating excessive amounts of heat.

3. What is the maximum safe current that a wire can handle?

The maximum safe current that a wire can handle depends on several factors, including its thickness, material, and insulation. In general, thicker wires can handle higher currents without overheating, while thinner wires have a lower maximum safe current. It is essential to consult the specifications for a particular wire to determine its maximum safe current.

4. How does the material of a wire affect the current to heat relation?

The material of a wire can have a significant impact on the current to heat relation. Different materials have different resistivity, which is a measure of how easily they conduct electricity. Materials with lower resistivity, such as copper, can handle higher currents without generating excessive heat compared to materials with higher resistivity, such as aluminum.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of heat that a wire can generate?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of heat that a wire can generate. If a wire is subjected to extremely high currents, it can reach a point where it becomes too hot and may melt or catch fire. This is why it is crucial to use appropriate wire sizes and follow safety guidelines when dealing with high currents to prevent overheating and potential hazards.