Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current to heat relation for a wire

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    Hey,

I am currently trying to calculate how much current a "wire" of very small dimensions can take. This "wire" is of dimensions of 100 micrometer and radius of about 1 micrometer.
    I have tried to use the Stefan-Boltzmann law or use the specific heat capacity, but in there I do not include any lost of heat to the ambient surroundings and to the heat sinks at each end. The results I get are not that good and I feel I have come to a dead end.
    I see the connection to filaments in lightbulbs but I haven't been able to find anything in that area.

Anyone who can helps?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there any reason that you are trying to calculate this, rather then simply referring to the gage tables to determine the current carrying capacity of the wire?

4. Jan 31, 2005 #3
    Sorry for the late reply, no internet connection during weekend.
    Well my purpose is to try to calculate when dos the wire melt at different currents.
    Do you mean using resistivity to calculate the voltage current relation or is there other information I should look for in the gage tables?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?