Currently a devry student and.

• Thread starter mnm501288
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, DeVry University is a diploma mill that may not be as valued by employers. Ohio State University is a more reputable school that may have a better chance for employment.
mnm501288
currently a devry student and...

I am currently attending DeVry University in Columbus Ohio in the computer engineering technology (CET) degree, and i am about half way into my third trimester. i have recently been hearing complaints about Devry being a "Diploma mill" and that a degree from devry is not really respected among employers. I am curious if anybody on here has a degree from devry, or if anyone could give me some advice on if i should continue attending devry or transferring to a different school. Recently i have been looking into Ohio state as i know that a degree from OSU would be respected. Any advice on this topic is greatly appreciated.

-Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can afford to transfer to OSU, do it without hesitating.

I would transfer to OSU immediately, as well. You will have a better chance for employment, if you obtain a BS in Computer Engineering (or Electrical Engineering). I also do think DeVry isn't regarded as very popular and a degree from an engineering-ABET accredited school is much more worthy.

A traditional engineering degree done at a four-year school would be a much, much better option. Prospective employers will be impressed by neither the name (DeVry), nor the degree itself (CET).

- Warren

I have to assume that because you enrolled at DeVry you aren't as interested in traditional engineering type education, but I don't know so take this for whatever it is worth.

At least look for a similar program at a more well respected school. At Purdue they have MET and ECET degree options and both of those programs have very good job placement numbers. Perhaps OSU has some of the same types of programs.

A friend of mine teaches at a DeVry campus. It's certainly not rigorous like an accredited school, but I wouldn't call it a diploma mill, either.

My impression of diploma mills are correspondence schools where you pay money, write an essay (maybe), and get your diploma.

Your decision will depend on what your goals are.

Grad school? No way DeVry will get you there.

An entry-level job, at a place where you can work your way up? Yes, I think DeVry could get you there. Just don't be bitter if you've been at your job for a while, and you see young folks get hired straight out of school into positions higher than yours.

thanks for all the advice although i think i made up my mind by the time i posted this lol. I do plan on going on to grad school so i will be calling up OSU sometime tonight to make sure my credits will all transfer for something. thanks again

Even if in retrospect, I want to point out that I think your decision was a good one.

Good Luck!

I went to DeVry Columbus for 3 terms and was in the exact position as you. I took Math 190, Math 260 and Math 270 and NONE of them transferred. Those were "advanced calc" classes at DeVry and I am in Math 151 at OSU. I'm in my first quarter at OSU, and I can already tell the way classes are conducted is totally different at OSU. It is definitely worth it to transfer even if hardly any classes transfer. I was double majoring in CET and EET at DeVry. The only problem with that was I was getting engineering "technology" degrees rather that full engineering degrees that are much more respected among employers. Also, it is impossible to get into grad school out of DeVry without taking at least a year of classes or more to catch up before you can even start the grad program. DO IT! I did it just in time.

1. What is Devry University?

Devry University is a private for-profit university that specializes in technology and business education. It was founded in 1931 and is headquartered in Illinois, United States.

2. What programs does Devry University offer?

Devry University offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs in fields such as business, technology, healthcare, and liberal arts. Some popular programs include computer information systems, nursing, and business administration.

3. Can I transfer credits to Devry University?

Yes, Devry University accepts transfer credits from other accredited institutions. The amount of credits that can be transferred will depend on the specific program and courses you are transferring.

4. How long does it take to complete a degree at Devry University?

The length of time to complete a degree at Devry University will vary depending on the program and your course load. On average, a bachelor's degree can be completed in 3-4 years, while a master's degree can take 1-2 years.

5. What is the tuition cost at Devry University?

The tuition cost at Devry University will vary depending on the program and campus location. On average, undergraduate tuition is around $18,000 per year and graduate tuition is around $17,000 per year. Financial aid and scholarships are available to help with the cost of tuition.