Currently doing undergraduate research, but on career path

In summary, the speaker is a physics student working on a computer science project for a scientific collaboration at an REU this summer. They are considering not continuing the project due to not having enough computer science knowledge and feeling that it does not relate to their passion for physics. They are also interested in potentially working with a theoretical physicist in the future and seeking advice on how to approach them. They are open to exploring other options within physics, such as computational GR or cosmology.
fu11meta1
Hey all!

I am currently doing a computer science project for a scientific collaboration at an REU this summer. I am a physics student and I plan to be a researcher one day. I really do not want to continue this project for two main reasons:

I simply do not know the computer science required(Would be a great learning experience though) and that this is not actually a physics project, but rather only to help the collaboration.

The project is to develop an artificial intelligence to help the researchers themselves. I'm curious that if I decide not to continue this project, my professors involved in this collaboration will not allow me to do undergrad research for them anymore. I really enjoy studying physics; it's my passion. If you guys could give me some advice. I've also been thinking of testing the waters in GR with a theoretical physicist at my University. How could I approach him? I also need to provide an undergrad thesis in 2 years

Thanks! I owe you all a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
fu11meta1 said:
I've also been thinking of testing the waters in GR with a theoretical physicist at my University. How could I approach him?

Well for starters, have you taken GR before?

@WannabeNewton
I have not haha. Which is the biggest problem, I understand. I don't believe my university has an undergrad GR course though

fu11meta1 said:
@WannabeNewton
I have not haha. Which is the biggest problem, I understand. I don't believe my university has an undergrad GR course though

It might not be. It all depends on how much experience the professor you want to work with has with undergrads wanting to do GR research. Presumably you aren't the first to ever ask him/her. It would be hard, practically impossible, to give you a truly full blown GR project when you don't know any GR. But you can always do computational GR. Here you certainly will not need to know any GR at all in the start, youll just need to know basic coding concepts and possibly languages like Fortran which doesn't seem like it would be a problem for you. This is assuming you have an undergrad computational GR program at your university. You can also do cosmology if there is a professor you can work with on that. You really don't need to know any GR to do cosmology.

I would approach the professor of interest by asking if he/she normally considers undergrads for GR projects to begin with. You can take it from there.

Thanks! This is definitely helpful. I've heard a lot of physics merges with computer science. I'm not that big of a fan of computer science or coding, however I do know how to use some languages. One reason why I don't want to continue doing the first project is because I feel it does not relate to physics research. I also however don't want to lose a shot at doing research with the collaboration too

1. What is undergraduate research and why is it important for my career path?

Undergraduate research involves conducting original research under the guidance of a faculty member or mentor in a specific field of study. It is important for your career path because it allows you to gain hands-on experience, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and make valuable connections in your field.

2. How do I find a research opportunity as an undergraduate student?

You can start by talking to your professors or academic advisors about research opportunities available at your university. You can also reach out directly to faculty members whose research interests align with yours and ask if they have any openings for undergraduate researchers.

3. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate research?

Participating in undergraduate research can help you gain a deeper understanding of your field of study, improve your communication and collaboration skills, and make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or job opportunities.

4. Can I do research in a field that is different from my major?

Yes, you can do research in a field that is different from your major. Many research projects require interdisciplinary collaboration, and some universities even offer interdisciplinary research opportunities specifically for undergraduate students.

5. How can I balance undergraduate research with my coursework and other commitments?

It is important to communicate with your mentor or supervisor about your schedule and commitments. They can help you prioritize tasks and manage your time effectively. It is also important to set realistic goals and deadlines for your research project, and to make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.