1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Currents and magnetic fields

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Your friend wants to be a magician and intends to use Earth's magnetic field to suspend a current-carrying wire above the stage. He asks you to estimate the minimum current needed to suspend the wore just above Earth's surface at the equator (where the Earth's magnetic field is horizontal). Assume the wire has a linear mass density of 10g/m. Would you advise him to proceed with his plans for this act?

2. Relevant equations
    dF=IdlxB, where dlxB is a cross product

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am having trouble understanding where to start. I am having trouble visualizing the problem and I don't know how to incorporate the linear mass density into anything. My book does not go over anything like this. Help on how to start would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3
    I do not understand how to get I from the equations in your second link. I understand what they mean and I have used them a lot, but I am not sure how the force is going to come into play.

5. Mar 10, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Well it will take real magic then to suspend a wire.

If the qV got you then try

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/forwir.html#c1

6. Mar 10, 2009 #5
    Thank you so much. That last link does an amazing job at helping the visualization process. Once I could see what was happening, it made complete sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook