Can Electrical Currents Affect My CRT Monitor?

In summary, the speaker is experiencing shaking on their CRT monitor, possibly due to nearby electrical wires. They are unable to move the monitor due to room setup and are seeking solutions to fix the problem. Suggestions have been made to use aluminum foil or Mu metal for shielding, and the possibility of interference from other electronic devices has been brought up.
kablo0ey
I have a CRT monitor aligned against the wall of my apartment. At times the screen begins to shake as though a current was running near it. I looked outside and there are 3 big 1-1.5 inch thick wires going up the wall near where my CRT monitor is. I assume this is the problem. Because of my room set up, I can not move my moitor. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I remember hearing that a gauze or sqaure wired sheet of metal blocks current from entering an area but I'm not sure if that info is corrent or if it was for magnetic flow. Any help with this would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

Computer science news on Phys.org
Greetings !

Perhaps cooking foil could solve the problem.
(Do you have cable/settelite T.V. or a simple antenna ?
It could be reception problems if it's an antenna or
interference of settelite reception during bad weather.)

Live long and prosper.

You wouldn't happen to have your cell phone sitting next to the monitor when this happens, would you?

PC monitors are actually shielded internally pretty well, but nevertheless a sufficiently strong EM field could cause your problem. There’re two types of shielding. The aluminum foil, if grounded could solve your problem, but if it’s a magnetic field causing your grief you’ll have to use something called Mu (Greek letter) metal.

I think your problem is more likely to be internal to the monitor, perhaps a loose or resistive connector or as Russ stated the problem could well be another electronic device. Often a TV set within a foot or so of a monitor causes the jitters. When I run two monitors at once I have to separate them or they talk to each other.

there are no electronic devices around it but a webcam on top. any other ideas?

1. How do currents affect my monitor's performance?

Currents can cause interference and fluctuations in the electrical signals that power your monitor. This can result in flickering, distorted images, or even complete failure of the monitor.

2. What types of currents can impact my monitor?

There are two main types of currents that can affect your monitor: AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current). AC currents are the most common and can be caused by power supply fluctuations or electronic devices nearby. DC currents can be caused by faulty cables or power sources.

3. How can I protect my monitor from currents?

Using a surge protector can help protect your monitor from sudden surges in electrical current. Additionally, using high-quality cables and power sources can help prevent DC current issues. Keeping electronic devices away from your monitor can also reduce interference from AC currents.

4. Can currents damage my monitor permanently?

In some cases, yes. If the currents are strong enough, they can damage the internal components of your monitor, leading to permanent damage. It is important to address any current issues as soon as possible to prevent long-term damage.

5. How can I troubleshoot current issues with my monitor?

If you suspect that currents are causing problems with your monitor, try disconnecting and reconnecting all cables to ensure they are securely plugged in. If the issue persists, try using a different power outlet or surge protector. If the problem continues, it may be best to consult a professional for further troubleshooting and assistance.