How Do You Calculate Currents in a Bridge Circuit?

In summary, a current in a circuit is the movement of electric charge through a closed path, measured in amperes and represented by "I". This movement is caused by the flow of electrons through a conductive material due to a difference in electrical potential. According to Ohm's Law, current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance. It can be measured with an ammeter connected in series. AC and DC currents differ in terms of direction and measurement methods.
Peto
Referring to the bridge circuit of fig P90, if I=6A, I2=4A, and I3 = 0, find I1, I4, and I5.
P90.jpg
I did,
I1=2A
I4=4A
I5=2A

My logic being, since I is 6A, and I2 is 4A, I1 must be the difference, 2A. since I4 is coming from I2 and I3 it should be the sum, (0 + 4A = 4A). and I thought because I5 is coming from I1, it must be 2A.

Is this right?
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Yes, your logic is correct. Using Kirchhoff's current law, the sum of the currents at a node must equal zero. Therefore, I1 + I3 = I2 + I4 + I5. Since I3 = 0 and I2 = 4A, I1 must be the difference between I and I2, which is 6A - 4A = 2A. Similarly, I4 must be the sum of I2 and I3, which is 4A, and I5 must be the difference between I1 and I4, which is 2A. Your calculations are correct.

1. What is a current in a circuit?

A current in a circuit is the flow of electric charge through a closed path or circuit. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is typically represented by the symbol "I".

2. What causes a current in a circuit?

A current in a circuit is caused by the movement of electrons, which are negatively charged particles, through a conductive material such as a wire. This movement occurs due to a difference in electrical potential, also known as voltage, between two points in the circuit.

3. How is current related to voltage and resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

4. How can current be measured in a circuit?

Current can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of current through a specific point in the circuit and displays the value in amperes.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of current that can flow in a circuit. AC current changes direction periodically and is commonly used in household electricity. DC current flows in only one direction and is used in devices such as batteries. In terms of measurement, AC current is typically measured in root mean square (RMS) while DC current is measured in average value.