Who Is to Blame for the Loss of Our Favorite Alternative Rock Station?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Channel
In summary: I was thinking about getting one for my car, but I don't know if I want to pay that much for something that I can just get from Apple for free. In summary, Clear Channel is turning 94.9 Zeta into a Spanish format. Air America will now be broadcast on the station until a new alternative rock station can be found. The alternative to radio is the internet, which offers a variety of streaming audio stations.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Curse You Clear Channel!

This is a very sad day for South Florida. We have lost our only alternative rock station 94.9 Zeta. The Miami Herald is reporting that Clear Channel is turning the station into some type of Spanish format. For the time being Air America's news and sports talk will be broadcast. This comes as a shock to everyone since no warning was given beforehand.

What I want to know is what fricking moron in management came up with this bright idea. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They did the exact same thing with 99.1 WHFS in Washington, DC about a month ago.

same thing in central florida to 100.3 the oldies station, its now a spanish station. also they fired drew garabo the talk show host here who was popular for no reason at all

Kakarot said:
also they fired drew garabo the talk show host here who was popular for no reason at all
Maybe they wanted a talk show host who was popular for a good reason. :rofl:

They take over ALL the good stations and put on yucky boring stuff. :grumpy: I hate clear channel stations too!

Time to get XM or Sirius.

Big Whip said:
Maybe they wanted a talk show host who was popular for a good reason. :rofl:
don't be getting any ideas about the pink ribbon. It's mine.

dduardo said:
Time to get XM or Sirius.

You will never want to go back once you do!

To bad I don't have broadband in my car. :tongue2:

Then I guess its XM or Sirius for the car.

Unless maybe Laptop and Wi-Fi :biggrin:

http://www.techwebsound.com/ - also streamed on Itunes

Recent play list:

19:14:23 Jefferson Airplane - Other Side Of This Life [Live 5/67] Current Song
19:06:16 Frumious Bandersnatch - Medley: You Gotta Believe/Judgment Day [Live '67, Straight Theater]
19:02:06 Blood, Sweat & Tears - The Modern Adventures Of Plato, Diogenes And Freud
18:59:29 Rainbow Ffolly - Go Girl
18:56:14 Donovan - Sunshine Superman
18:53:48 The Beatles - Got To Get You Into My Life
18:45:41 The Moody Blues - Have You Heard, Part 1^The Voyage^Have You Heard, Part 2
18:40:47 James Gang - Ashes, The Rain And I
18:38:00 The Charlatans - Easy When I'm Dead
18:35:45 The Lemon Drops - It Happens Everyday
18:34:46 The Four Seasons - Brunswick Bowling Ad
18:32:34 The Cyrkle - Chevy Camaro Ad
18:31:31 The Newbeats - Coke Ad
18:29:38 Small Faces - Rollin' Over
18:25:54 Family - See Through Windows
18:20:21 Pink Floyd - Let There Be More Light
18:16:57 The Master's Apprentices - Our Friend Owsley Stanley III
18:14:20 The Fruit Machine - The Wall
18:09:09 Bow Street Runners - Another Face
18:06:09 Indian Puddin' And Pipe - Hashish

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Apple Itunes - http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Free! Streaming Audio - Classic, Jazz, Rock, etc.

It's best you have broadband or DSL.

Yeah, it really sucks over a modem line! I think they're supposed to be working on iPod adapters for your car stereo system, so you can d/l your music to an iPod and plug it in. But when I'm at work, I love playing the radio stations available through iTunes. You can get some really cool stations that don't play anything like what's available locally. But, uh, yeah, not too feasible for the car yet.

I guess I could get the ipod adapter for my car, but it costs $150+installation from the dealership. I would also need to get an ipod. I could be looking at $500 for the setup. On the other hand I could get an XM unit for $100, but then pay $10 a month, which isn't bad considering I would need to buy songs from itunes anyway. The nice thing about the ipod adapter though is that it integrates with the steering wheel buttons.

Moonbear said:
They take over ALL the good stations and put on yucky boring stuff. :grumpy: I hate clear channel stations too!

Yeah, only yucky boring stuff...

Thats why KFI is the single most popular station in the country. Owned by clear channel.

dduardo said:
I guess I could get the ipod adapter for my car, but it costs $150+installation from the dealership. I would also need to get an ipod. I could be looking at $500 for the setup. On the other hand I could get an XM unit for $100, but then pay $10 a month, which isn't bad considering I would need to buy songs from itunes anyway. The nice thing about the ipod adapter though is that it integrates with the steering wheel buttons.

Okay, so I was looking around the Sirius website trying to figure out what they are and what you get from them. The starting price for most of their units is around $99, plus roughly $12/month subscription, but what I can't for the life of me figure out from their site is whether that $99 "plug and play" unit contains all the equipment to connect it to the car stereo system, or is it just a receiver and then you need to start shelling out more dough for the installation kits to use the receiver? They also have antennas listed on their site, so do you have to buy an antenna separate from the receiver? It's all rather unclear to me. If it's plug and play, what do you plug it into? It doesn't look like it has speakers, you have to buy those separately. Unless it means you can use any speakers with it.

...Not that I have an iPod either. But if I ever catch up with technology, which one works out better in initial equipment investment? Either way, I either need to continue paying for a subscription for the radio or for music for the iPod, so the main thing is initial investment in equipment.

tribdog said:
don't be getting any ideas about the pink ribbon. It's mine.
I thought about it for a little while, but realized the pink really sets off your eyes. Gives you a sort of glow, and I wouldn't want to take that away. Besides, I'm more of a periwinkle type guy.

Moonbear said:
... but what I can't for the life of me figure out from their site is whether that $99 "plug and play" unit contains all the equipment to connect it to the car stereo system, or is it just a receiver and then you need to start shelling out more dough for the installation kits to use the receiver?

If it's like XM, the plug and play "controller" (I have the Delphi Sky-fi) will require an adapter kit to play in the car. Mine was another $50. You can take it another step and get a modulator for another $40 to pipe it directly to an FM station on your current radio if you want. I haven't listened to regular radio in over 2 years now (except an occasional check of NPR).

They did the same thing in houston when they changed Rock 101.1 to Mega Latin hits(spanglish). Personally I don't miss it. Ever since they acquired the station it's been in steady deterioration. I hadn't listened to it in 6 years. After the change I heard all this stupid racist BS about how mexicans are moving in and taking over and that it wasn't even Clear Channels fault, they were just following the market. I only listen to the college stations and what I find on the internet and have been happy with it for awhile.

What pissed me off was when our only classical station changed formats into some top 40 show. Like we need another one of those. Then because of the horrible ratings it changed to another latin station. I mean come on, we have 8 latin stations and they're pretty competative. There's room for classical. dumbasses

1. What is "Curse You Clear Channel"?

"Curse You Clear Channel" is a common phrase used to express frustration with the radio broadcasting company Clear Channel Communications, now known as iHeartMedia. It is often used in reference to the company's strict control over programming and consolidation of radio stations.

2. Why are people cursing Clear Channel?

People may curse Clear Channel due to their dominance in the radio industry, which has led to concerns about homogenized programming and the suppression of local voices and independent stations. They have also faced criticism for their use of automated and syndicated programming.

3. Is Clear Channel responsible for the decline of diversity in radio?

While Clear Channel's dominance in the radio industry has been a contributing factor to the decline of diversity in radio, there are other factors at play such as consolidation and changes in media ownership regulations. However, Clear Channel's business practices have been a major point of contention in discussions about diversity in radio.

4. Has Clear Channel faced any legal action related to their practices?

Yes, Clear Channel has faced several lawsuits and regulatory actions over the years for various reasons, including antitrust violations, payola scandals, and violations of the Telecommunications Act. However, they have also successfully defended themselves in many cases.

5. Is there any alternative to Clear Channel in the radio industry?

Yes, there are alternative radio companies and platforms, such as independent and community radio stations, satellite radio, and online streaming services. However, Clear Channel's dominance in the industry makes it difficult for these alternatives to compete and gain a significant audience share.

Back