1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curse You Thermal Physics

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    I don't know why, but my weak point has always been thermo. I am taking thermal physics and I am finding it difficult. I don't have a problem with Classical Mechanics, E&M. Even quantum I don't find nearly as difficult to DO as thermo. To make things even more difficult, my class does not have a set text. Has anyone else had trouble with thermal physics? I am open to suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Yes, I find it myself difficult, I got in my exam 72/118 points, it's interesting and I guess that if I have gone to the second chance exam, I would have got higher grades ,by learning from my mistakes of the past.
    But I guess there are some that no matter how, will never get it.
    I guess it's all because your'e not always undersatnd the conditions and hypotheses you need to use, either because the lecturer glimpsed over it, or because you were unaware of a simple equation.

I myself photocopied (from a girl! (-: ) some of the material cause it overlapped with calculus 3 and not all of the material was there or at least I couldn't find it,Wien's Law, I can't even remember looking at this equation, and I had something like two weeks to learn for the exam but got distracted from a murdering of a young girl, I'm telling you, watching TV is evil.

5. Mar 17, 2009 #4
    I agree with you on that one. In mechanics things are intuitive, and I have at least a direction. Some of the intuitive things in mechanics crosses over to E&M. Q&M I can DO(learning from Griffiths). Some of thermo so intuitive, obvious things like like conservation of energy. But when it comes to heavy lifting applications with maxwells relations, gibbs, and helmholz, I am just dead in the water. I still struggle with even some basic thermo stuff!

6. Mar 17, 2009 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook