Curvature at the origin of a space as described by a metric

In summary: I can't seem to find it.The circumference is ##\sin(r)dθ##, and it is the distance traveled around a circle with radius ##\rho##.
Whitehole

Homework Statement

This is a problem from A. Zee's book EInstein Gravity in a Nutshell, problem I.5.5

Consider the metric ##ds^2 = dr^2 + (rh(r))^2dθ^2## with θ and θ + 2π identified. For h(r) = 1, this is flat space. Let h(0) = 1. Show that the curvature at the origin is positive or negative according to whether h(r) starts to turn downward or upward. Calculate the curvature for ##h(r) = \frac{sin(r)}{r}## and for ##h(r) = \frac{sinh(r)}{r}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##ds^2 = dr^2 + (rh(r))^2dθ^2 = dr^2 + (r^2h(r)^2)dθ^2##

If I let r → 0 then h(r) → 1 but (r^2h(r)^2)dθ^2 → 0
How can I tell what would be the behavior of h(r) if it will already be gone if I let r → 0.

For ##h(r) = \frac{sin(r)}{r}## and ##h(r) = \frac{sinh(r)}{r}## I know that when I let r → 0 from calculus the answer would be 1 and -1 respectively, but I don't know what to do with the "show" part. Can anyone give me hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not compute the curvature by simply looking at one component of the metric. You need to actually compute what the curvature is.

Orodruin said:
You do not compute the curvature by simply looking at one component of the metric. You need to actually compute what the curvature is.
I get your point but Zee did not show how to compute the curvature and stated in this section that I have to wait until some later chapters, that is why I'm confused why is that question in this chapter. I think maybe he wants me to compute the limit of h(r) as r → 0? In which h(r) are the givens above.

Have you looked at the bottom of page 65 and top of page 66, and at appendix 1 for section 1.5?

George Jones said:
Have you looked at the bottom of page 65 and top of page 66, and at appendix 1 for section 1.5?
I have a question on appendix 1. He stated that the curvature is given by ##R = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{radius^2}(1-\frac{circumference}{2πradius})}##.

Now from equation (4) in page 65, he gave the metric ##ds^2 = dρ^2 + \sin^2(ρ)dθ^2##. To know if the space is curved or not. We apply the formula above.

The radius is ##ρ## so, ##ρ = \int_0^ε\, dρ = ε##. I get that, but for the circumference, in flat space it should be ##(radius)(dθ)##, what does ##\sin(ρ)## stand for here? It seems that it is representing the "radius" because he showed that, ##circumference = \int_0^{2π}\, \sin(ε)dθ = 2π\sin(ε)##

Also, by applying the formula for curvature, ##R = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{ε^2}(1-\frac{2π\sin(ε)}{2πε}) = \frac{6}{ε^2}(1-\frac{\sin(ε)}{ε}) = 1}##. How can it be 1 if ##\lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{\sin(ε)}{ε}} = 1##, so it should be 0.

It is not representing the radius, it represents how far you will move if you change ##\theta## by an amoun ##d\theta##. Note that, since your space is curved you no longer have the direct connection between the radius and the circumference.

Orodruin said:
It is not representing the radius, it represents how far you will move if you change ##\theta## by an amoun ##d\theta##. Note that, since your space is curved you no longer have the direct connection between the radius and the circumference.
Oh, then if I picture it in my mind, ##ρ## is the radius (0 to ε) which is a straight line? And ##\sin(ε)## is somehow the distance from ##0## to ##ε## but curved? So technically ##\sin(ε)## has a "longer" length than ##ρ##?

Orodruin said:
Oh, then if I picture it in my mind, ##ρ## is the radius (0 to ε) which is a straight line? And ##\sin(ε)## is somehow the distance from ##0## to ##ε## but curved? So technically ##\sin(ε)## has a "longer" length than ##ρ##?

No, ##\rho## is the radius. From ##\rho =0## to ##\epsilon##, the distance is ##\epsilon##. The quantity ##\sin(\epsilon)d\theta## is the distance traveled along the circle of radius ##\epsilon## when you change the ##\theta## coordinate by ##d\theta##. If you go around a full lap, you will therefore get a distance ##\sin(\epsilon)2\pi##, not ##\epsilon 2\pi##. This is the entire point.

Orodruin said:
No, ##\rho## is the radius. From ##\rho =0## to ##\epsilon##, the distance is ##\epsilon##. The quantity ##\sin(\epsilon)d\theta## is the distance traveled along the circle of radius ##\epsilon## when you change the ##\theta## coordinate by ##d\theta##. If you go around a full lap, you will therefore get a distance ##\sin(\epsilon)2\pi##, not ##\epsilon 2\pi##. This is the entire point.
I know, but how can I picture ##\sin(ε)## only, without the ##dθ##. For example, in flat space the circumference is ##rdθ = r(2π)##, and I know ##r## is the distance from ##0## to ##ε##. For curved space, the circumference is ##\sin(r)dθ##, but where is this ##\sin(r)##?

What do you mean by "where it is"? It is a property of the manifold. It is shorter around the circle than ##2\pi r##. It is a property of the circle.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by "where it is"? It is a property of the manifold. It is shorter around the circle than ##2\pi r##. It is a property of the circle.
What I mean is that, for a flat space the circumference is ##r(2π)##, and ##r## is "the distance from the origin to some arbitrary point"". But for a curved space the circumference is ##\sin(r)(2π)##, and ##\sin(r)## is...?

I know that this is a property of the manifold, etc. I'm just curious if there is a way to visualize this.

How about the other question,
##R = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{ε^2}(1-\frac{2π\sin(ε)}{2πε}) = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{ε^2}(1-\frac{\sin(ε)}{ε})} = 1}##. How can it be 1 if ##
\lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{\sin(ε)}{ε}} = 1##. Shouldn't it be ##0##?

I suggest thinking of the surface of a sphere and how the radius and circumference will be related there.

Whitehole said:
How about the other question,
##R = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{ε^2}(1-\frac{2π\sin(ε)}{2πε}) = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{ε^2}(1-\frac{\sin(ε)}{ε})} = 1}##. How can it be 1 if ##
\lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{\sin(ε)}{ε}} = 1##. Shouldn't it be ##0##?

No, you are completely neglecting the ##1/\epsilon^2## outside the parenthesis! If you struggle with this type of limits I suggest solidifying your calculus before attempting calculus on manifolds.

Whitehole said:
What I mean is that, for a flat space the circumference is ##r(2π)##, and ##r## is "the distance from the origin to some arbitrary point"". But for a curved space the circumference is ##\sin(r)(2π)##, and ##\sin(r)## is...?
Just to clarify, it is not sin(r) for a general manifold. The function will be different for different manifolds. It may even be different for different points on the same manifold.

Orodruin said:
Just to clarify, it is not sin(r) for a general manifold. The function will be different for different manifolds. It may even be different for different points on the same manifold.
Got it, L'hopital's rule, but how can I apply it to h(r) in post#1? h(r) is completely arbitrary.

##radius = \int_0^ε\, dr = ε##, ##circumference = \int_0^{2π}\,εh(ε)dθ = 2πεh(ε)##

##R = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{ε^2}(1-\frac{2πεh(ε)}{2πε})} = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{ε^2}(1-h(ε))}##

Last edited:
You got the circumference wrong.

Orodruin said:
You got the circumference wrong.
I've edited my post. Sorry for the carelessness. But still, h(r) is arbitrary, though it is given that h(0) = 1.

Whitehole said:
I've edited my post. Sorry for the carelessness. But still, h(r) is arbitrary, though it is given that h(0) = 1.
Yes, this is given, so what is the limit?

Orodruin said:
Yes, this is given, so what is the limit?
By applying l'hospital's rule twice. ##R = \lim_{radius\rightarrow 0} {\frac{6}{ε^2}(1-h(ε))} = -3h''(ε)##

So depending whether ##h''(ε)## is positive or negative, it will tell me if the curvature is positive or negative.

Almost, a limit in which ##\epsilon \to 0## cannot depend on ##\epsilon## (it was what was approaching zero!). Replace ##h''(\epsilon)## by ##h''(0)##. Also note that ##h'(0)## needs to be zero for this limit to be finite. If not you are not dealing with a smooth manifold.

Edit: Also note that if ##h''(0) = 0##, then the manifold is flat at r = 0 and this does not necessarily imply that it is flat everywhere. An example of this would be ##h(r) = 1 + r^4##.

Orodruin said:
Almost, a limit in which ##\epsilon \to 0## cannot depend on ##\epsilon## (it was what was approaching zero!). Replace ##h''(\epsilon)## by ##h''(0)##. Also note that ##h'(0)## needs to be zero for this limit to be finite. If not you are not dealing with a smooth manifold.

Edit: Also note that if ##h''(0) = 0##, then the manifold is flat at r = 0 and this does not necessarily imply that it is flat everywhere. An example of this would be ##h(r) = 1 + r^4##.
Yes, I need to be pedagogic. Thank you very much for your help!

What is curvature at the origin of a space?

Curvature at the origin of a space is a measure of the geometric deformation or bending of that space at a specific point. It describes how the space is curved or warped in relation to its nearby points.

How is curvature at the origin determined?

Curvature at the origin is determined by the metric, which is a mathematical tool used to measure distances and angles in a space. The metric provides information about the curvature of the space at every point, including the origin.

What does a positive or negative curvature at the origin indicate?

A positive curvature at the origin indicates that the space is curved in a concave manner, while a negative curvature indicates a convex curvature. This can be visualized as a bowl or a saddle shape, respectively.

Can curvature at the origin change?

Yes, curvature at the origin can change depending on the properties of the space. For example, a space with positive curvature can become flat or even negatively curved if certain conditions are met.

Why is curvature at the origin important in physics?

Curvature at the origin is important in physics because it is related to the presence of matter and energy in a space. The curvature affects how objects move and interact in that space, and is a fundamental concept in the theory of general relativity.