1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvature Circle Proof

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    Here is the problem:

Show that if [tex]c[/tex] is a curve with [tex]\kappa=\frac{1}{r}[/tex] (r is a positive constant) that [tex]c[/tex] is moving on a circle of radius r.

He gives a hunt to use the formula [tex]E(s)=C(s)+rN(s)[/tex]. I don't know where he got this equations and I have no idea what the function E is supposed to represent. I'm sure C and S are position and arclength respectively. So first I showed that [tex]\frac{dE}{ds}=0[/tex] with the definitions of T and N vectors as related to curvature K.

Then he gives a hint to show [tex]absolute value(C-E)=r[/tex] which I have no idea how to show, and then from that to explain why that makes C a circle or radius r?

I know that the equation for a circle is nx^2+ny^2=r^2 but I don't see where that will get me here.

Any help?

I know this isn't in the correct format but this is more of a rigorous proof than a problem with given information...
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?