Curvature Numerical Gauss etc.

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to calculate the curvature for a surface represented as a mesh. They have already calculated face normals and are wondering how to calculate the Gauss curvature from this information. The suggested method is to calculate the curvature along each of the six lines running through each node and then multiplying the maximum by the minimum. The speaker notes that this method may be crude but cannot think of a better one. They also clarify that Gauss curvature is taken separately at each point.
Omega0
Hi!

I would like to calculate the curvature for a surface S:R^2->R'3 numerically.
The problem: I simply have the surface as a mesh like you see in the image attached.

I calculated the linearly interpolated face normals in the nodes, too. You see the vectors.

Question: How would you calculate the Gauss curvature from this information?

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Jens
curve.png

Attachments

• curve.png
    curve.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
Since each node is at the centre of a hexagon, and surrounded by six other equally close nodes, I suggest you calculate the curvature along each of the six lines running through each point, using the line segments connecting the centre point to each of the two points either side of it along every given line. THen multiply the maximum out of the six by the minimum. It's fairly crude, but may be good enough, and I can't easily think of a better method.

do you mean the total (integral of the ) gauss curvature? or the curvature at some point. technically gauss curvature is taken separately at each point.

1. What is curvature in mathematics?

Curvature is a mathematical concept that describes the amount of bending or deviation from a straight line that exists on a surface or in a space. It is typically measured by calculating the radius of curvature at a specific point on the surface or in the space.

2. How is curvature related to numerical methods?

In numerical methods, curvature is often used to evaluate the accuracy and stability of a numerical solution. It can also be used to determine the optimal step size for numerical integration or differentiation.

3. What is the significance of Gauss curvature?

Gauss curvature is a measure of the intrinsic curvature of a surface, meaning it is independent of any embedding in a higher dimensional space. It is named after the mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss and is used in differential geometry to study the properties of surfaces.

4. How is curvature related to the Gauss-Bonnet theorem?

The Gauss-Bonnet theorem states that the integral of the Gaussian curvature over a closed surface is equal to 2π times the Euler characteristic of the surface. This theorem has important implications in topology and geometry, and is often used in the study of differential equations and dynamical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of curvature and numerical methods?

Curvature and numerical methods have numerous applications in various fields, including computer graphics, engineering, physics, and biology. For example, they are used in computer-aided design to create smooth and accurate surfaces, in structural engineering to analyze the stability of structures, and in medical imaging to reconstruct 3D models of organs from 2D images.