Calculate Ricci Scalar & Cosm. Const of AdS-Schwarzschild Metric in d-Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Ricci scalar and cosmological constant for an AdS-Schwarzschild black hole metric in d-dimensions. The metric is defined by the equation ds^2 = (L^2_ADS)/z^2 * (-f(z)dt^2 + dz^2/f(z) + sum from i=1 to d of dx_i^2), where L_ADS is the AdS radius. The article "AdS CFT Duality User Guide" by Makoto Natsuume provides a guide for finding these quantities, taking into account the factor of f(z) in the metric. The conversation suggests finding the Riemann tensor by first calculating the Christoff
shinobi20
TL;DR Summary
How do you calculate the Ricci scalar and cosmological constant of an AdS-Schwarzschild black hole in ##d##-dimensions?
I know some basic GR and encountered the Schwarzschild metric as well as the Riemann tensor. It is known that for maximally symmetric spaces there is a corresponding Riemann tensor and thus Ricci scalar.

Question. How do you calculate the Ricci scalar ##R## and cosmological constant ##\Lambda## of an AdS-Schwarzschild black hole metric in ##d##-dimensions?

##ds^2 = \frac{L^2_{\rm{AdS}}}{z^2} \left( -f(z) dt^2 + \frac{dz^2}{f(z)} + \sum_{i=1}^d dx_i^2 \right)##

where ##L_{\rm{AdS}}## is the AdS radius.

I'm reading the article AdS CFT Duality User Guide by Makoto Natsuume and I'm just wondering how to find those quantities since there is a factor of ##f(z)## already present as opposed to the pure AdS case. The Riemann tensor and Ricci scalar for the maximally symmetric spaces are listed in p.98 of the article.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the AdS-Schwarzschild metric in d-dimensions?

The AdS-Schwarzschild metric is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity that describes the geometry of a black hole in an anti-de Sitter (AdS) space. It is a higher-dimensional version of the Schwarzschild metric, which describes a non-rotating black hole in a flat space.

2. How is the Ricci scalar calculated for the AdS-Schwarzschild metric in d-dimensions?

The Ricci scalar is calculated by taking the trace of the Ricci tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of spacetime. In the case of the AdS-Schwarzschild metric, the Ricci scalar can be calculated using the formula R = -d(d-1)/L^2, where d is the number of dimensions and L is the AdS radius.

3. What is the significance of the Ricci scalar in the AdS-Schwarzschild metric?

The Ricci scalar is a measure of the curvature of spacetime. In the case of the AdS-Schwarzschild metric, the negative value of the Ricci scalar indicates that the spacetime is negatively curved, which is a characteristic of an AdS space. This curvature is responsible for the unique properties of black holes in AdS spaces.

4. How is the cosmological constant determined for the AdS-Schwarzschild metric in d-dimensions?

The cosmological constant is a parameter that represents the energy density of empty space. In the AdS-Schwarzschild metric, the cosmological constant is determined by the value of the AdS radius, which is a characteristic length scale of the AdS space. The larger the AdS radius, the smaller the cosmological constant.

5. What are the implications of the AdS-Schwarzschild metric in d-dimensions for black hole physics?

The AdS-Schwarzschild metric has important implications for black hole physics, as it allows for the study of black holes in a curved spacetime. This can help us better understand the behavior of black holes in our universe, as well as in other theoretical scenarios. It also has applications in other areas of physics, such as string theory and holography.