1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvature of polar curve

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the polar curve r=e^(a*theta), a>0, find the curvature K and determine the limit of K as (a) theta approaches infinity and (b) as a approaches infinity.

2. Relevant equations
    x=r*cos(theta)
    y=r*sin(theta)
    K=|x'y''-y'x''|/[(x')^2 + (y')^2]^(3/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried converting the polar curve using the first equation, solving for their first and second derivatives, then plugging them into equation 3 but that gets very, very long.

So next, I apply the properties of limits to the relevant equations. However, I get stuck when I need to find the limit of asin(x), acos(x), sin(x), cos(x) as x approaches infinity. What now?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You know sin(x) and cos(x) are limited. That should be sufficient.

If asin is the inverse sine, then asin(x) with x to infinity shouldn't occur. If it is a*sin(x), then see above.

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3
    I'm getting 0 for the limit of x', x'', y', y'' as a approaches infinity and when theta approaches infinity.

5. Sep 27, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A curvature that approaches zero makes sense.

6. Sep 27, 2015 #5
    Yes, but then I'd end up with a 0 in the denominator in the third equation which wouldn't work. However, that would require me to find a work around and solve for the limit some other way so I don't get 0/0. I haven't been able to figure out what I have to do to get around that.

I am expecting the curvature to be 0 in both cases when a or theta approaches infinity so I'm expecting the numerator to be 0.

7. Sep 27, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of using the radius of curvature formula for cartesian coordinates, why don't you try the equivalent formula for polar coordinates?

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadiusofCurvature.html

8. Sep 27, 2015 #7
    Thanks! That's just what I need.

I've ended up with R=sqrt((a^2 + 1)e^(2ax)) so K=1/sqrt((a^2 + 1)e^(2ax)). Taking the limit as a approaches infinity I get 0 and taking the limit as x approaches infinity, I also get 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted