Curvature of 3D Graph on Point w/ Directional Vector

In summary, the curvature of a 3D graph at a specific point can be determined by using a directional vector. This directional vector represents the direction in which the graph is being curved at that point. By calculating the curvature at multiple points along the graph, the overall curvature of the graph can be determined. This information is useful in understanding the overall shape and behavior of the 3D graph.
kairama15
TL;DR Summary
Want to find curvature at a point on a 3d graph if the osculating circle is situated in a certain direction.
I know curvature (k) of a 2 dimensional graph y(x) is equal to y''/(1+(y')^2)^(3/2), were y' is the first derivative of y with respect to x, and y'' is the second derivative of y with respect to x.

Is there a formula for the curvature at a point on a 3 dimensional graph z(x,y)? The curvature will be dependent on which direction the curvature of the fitted osculating circle will face, so assume we care about the curvature going along the graph in the direction of the directional unit vector <a,b,c> where that unit vector is lying flat on the plane tangent to the graph at a point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately no. Looking into this page more, I think what I'm looking for is normal curvature. I found a webpage with a formula:

http://wordpress.discretization.de/...ty-introduction-to-the-curvature-of-surfaces/

I'm not sure how to use it. Suppose I have a graph like z=sqrt(1-2*x^2-y^2) and had a unit vector at point (0,0,1) going in the direction <sqrt(2)/2,sqrt(2)/2,0>. Can I have a hand implementing the formula in the link? The formula is near the beginning of the article.

From your setting I see
[tex]\nabla z \cdot t[/tex]
for
[tex]t=(1/\sqrt{2},1/\sqrt{2},0)[/tex]
at x=0,y=0,z=1
may be a quantity you are looking for. It shows ratio of how high you climb on the surface for a horizontal direction t walk.

1. What is the curvature of a 3D graph?

The curvature of a 3D graph is a measure of how much the graph is curved at a specific point. It is determined by the rate at which the graph changes direction at that point.

2. How is the curvature of a 3D graph calculated?

The curvature of a 3D graph is calculated using the directional vector at a specific point. This vector represents the direction in which the graph is changing at that point, and the magnitude of the vector represents the rate of change. The curvature is then calculated using the formula: curvature = magnitude of directional vector / radius of curvature.

3. What is the significance of the directional vector in determining curvature?

The directional vector is crucial in determining the curvature of a 3D graph because it represents the direction and rate of change of the graph at a specific point. Without this information, it would be impossible to accurately calculate the curvature.

4. How does the curvature of a 3D graph affect its shape?

The curvature of a 3D graph directly affects its shape. A higher curvature indicates a sharper change in direction, resulting in a more curved shape. A lower curvature indicates a more gradual change in direction, resulting in a flatter shape.

5. Can the curvature of a 3D graph be negative?

Yes, the curvature of a 3D graph can be negative. This means that the graph is curving in the opposite direction of the directional vector at a specific point. It is important to consider both the magnitude and direction of the curvature in order to fully understand the shape of a 3D graph.