1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvature problem

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Curve C is given by the polar equation r=f(theta). Show that the curvature K at the point (r, theta) is
    K=|2(r')^2 - rr'' + r^2|
    --------------------
    [(r')^2 + r^2]^(3/2)

*Represent the curve by r(theta) = r<cos theta, sin theta>

2. Relevant equations

I have so far taken the first and second derivatives of x= r cos Theta and y=r sin theta
    and I know that the formula below is probably involved but i don't know how
    K(t) = ||r'(t) X r''(t)||
    ---------------
    ||r'(t)||^3
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write your second formula K(theta)=|f'(theta) X f''(theta)|/|f'(theta)|^3 where f(theta)=r(theta)*[cos(theta),sin(theta)]. Now put your derivatives of f(theta) in. Your presentation above has too many r's in it. Is that what's confusing?

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    yea, i dnt know exactly what i'm doing when im plugging things in.. like f(theta) is a vector?.. f(theta) = r cos theta + r sin theta... or... I just don't understand :( but i get the math, just not what im subsituting..

5. Jun 17, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f(theta) IS a vector [r(theta)*cos(theta),r(theta)*sin(theta)]. Those are the x and y components. Consider theta a parameter of the curve, like t.

6. Jun 17, 2008 #5
    i got that the actual K should be 1/ (r^2 + 1)^(1/2) which i cant seem to relate to the K given.. when i subsitute it, it's too messy

7. Jun 17, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get that??? I thought you were going to (or had) computed f'(theta) and f''(theta). That's the right way to go. Start with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?