1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvature Questions,

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    Curvature Questions, Please Help!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) Prove that if M is locally symmetric (i.e. the Riemann tensor is constant), connected and 2 dimensional, then M has constant sectional curvature.
    2) Prove that if M has constant (sectional) curvature, then M is a locally
    symmetric space.

2. Relevant equations
    R(X, Y) Z = constant along any geodesic, i.e. it is a parallel vector field.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first part:
    Since M is two dim, the sectional curvature coincides with the actual curvature. Why do we need that M is connected? Am I suppose to use that the sectional curvature (hence the Riemann curvature) does not change along geodesics?

* What exactly does constant sectional curvature mean? Does it mean that the sectional curvature K does not depend on the 2-dimensional space and that it does not change along any curve?

For the second part:
    Not quite sure about this part. I see the idea and the picture, but what is the first step?

Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?